It looks like he had a prolapsed penis, I soaked him in warm water and a hard rocky thing fell off. Is ithat right or do

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: It looks like he had a prolapsed penis, I soaked him in warm water and a hard white rocky thing fell off. Is ithat right or do I need a vet
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of reptile are we talking about?
Customer: leopard gecko 1.5 yrs old
JA: How long has the leopard gecko had this prolapse?
Customer: just noticed tonight
JA: What type of food does he normally eat?
Customer: hasnt been eating well for last month but usually meal worms, only thing he has eaten in last 2 weeks were baby horn worms
JA: What's the leopard gecko's name?
Customer: critter
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: only he has been very healthy for last year but last month much reduced appetite
Answered by Jav917 in 11 mins 2 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I am a Vet Tech with over 50 tears in Reptile Health.

Is the hei penis prolapsed?
Do you have a picture of the white piece?

Is the Vent area botmal now?

Joan

Customer
Attached a picture is what came off using qtip after warm water soak. Is this feces or part of Penis? Kept ion damp towels over night, he is now in cage and in hide. Nothing protruding, dissapered within 10 min of removal. Picture is good but it was more white last night.

That looks like like a sperm plug. Male Geckos maturnate at verious and they can create and block the vent witgh sperm pligs and that is exactly what that looks like. You may have to di at least obe soak a week to make sure he does not block himself u again.

This us normal for Male Leopard Geckos.

I gope this will gelp resolve your woeies.

If I have addrresed your concens, I would appreciate a 5 star ratung so I can get credit for my answers.

Joan

Customer
thank you for your help is it OK to keep him in his regular cage or should I keep him in smaller cage with wet towels. Can I expect him to beTo be eating within a week? He just seems very traumatized But it is daytime so I really didn’t expect him to be moving around much this morning

Heckos eat and are more active at night. He can aty in his normal rank. What happens he feels it is spring and breeding season.

The licking and causing a sperm plug is normal and all male Heckos go throuhj this. As far as eating this may be seasonal. You can do some emergency feeding with chicken baby fod and add a pincg of calcium and drio on the snout abd alow her to lick it off. Reoet untol will no longer rake it and do several times a dy

If he starts loosing weight or does not resume ormal diet, then a Hero vet is remommended.

Olease reply to discyss this info,

Joan

Customer
Thank you so much for your help I much relieved we live in a very rural area and an exotic that is three hours away. He has a pretty fat tails so I’m sure we will get through this. When he’s back to normal I will certainly send you a video. Thanks again for your help

Reptiles as we go into spring set their mind on breeding and weI would appreciate if you too a moment to use the stars at the top or vbottom left corner ro rate my service 5 see them more interested in pleasure

I would appreciate if yoy would tale a moment to rate my service.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.