He accidentally turned his heat lamp off and became cold he is acting pretty lethargic and playing dead we are keeping

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: He accidentally turned his heat lamp off and became cold he is acting pretty lethargic and playing dead we are keeping him warm and moist but are very concerned It is an iguana
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the iguana. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the iguana?
Customer: No
Answered by Anna in 7 mins 2 years ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping reptiles. I’m sorry to hear about this accident. Some additional information may help me determine the best steps for you to take.

How long was the light out?

How long ago did you find him like this?

Thank you.

Customer
We are not sure how long the light was off it was for several hours on the coldest night of the year. And he has been like this most of the day seem to be breathing shallow earlier but doesn’t seem to be breathing at all now and he is stiff my ex has been thinks he is deadI just am not sure how long they can stay in the state or if you can tell they’re breathing when they do this playing dead thing I’m not familiar with reptiles it’s my daughters

Thank you for getting back to me. If the only problem was the cold, your iguana should have come around by now. In ?Florida, where they run wild, they survive actual freezing temperatures (30’s and 40’s) by going into a dormant state. They become stiff and barely breathe, and they fall out of trees.But when the temperature warms, they recover. So it’s possible your iguana is not dead, but if he’s been warm for several hours, he should not still be like this. I suspect something else was going on besides the cold.

I’ll give you something to try before you conclude he is dead. Prepare a shallow bath consisting of half Pedialyte and half water at about 90*F. Soak him for 20 to 30 minutes. Be sure to hold his head out of the water.

If you don’t have Pedialyte, you can make your own by combining 2 cups of water, 3 teaspoons of sugar, and one-fourth (1/4) teaspoon of salt.

After that, I would place him in his cage under the light and give him some time. If he’s still stiff and not visibly breathing in a few hours, we can assume he has died. I hope that won’t be the case. If you have more concerns, just let me know. I’m glad to help in any way I can.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.