We have a 5 year old crested gecko who tried to drop his tail 6 months ago unsuccessfully. Now the tip of the tail about

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: We have a 5 year old crested gecko who tried to drop his tail 6 months ago unsuccessfully. Now the tip of the tail about 1 inch up is now black. The gecko can not feel tail or move it like before. We tried to pinch at the base to help him drop it many times unsuccessfully. He is not eating like he was before. His Sheddings are getting built up on tail as well. We are wondering what we can do for him. Hate for him to get sick due to his tail. Any help would be appreciated. We do not live near a reptile specialists unfortunately.
JA: A lack of appetite can seem worrying. The Expert will know how to help. Does the gecko seem to be in any pain?
Customer: No pain.
JA: What's the gecko's name and age?
Customer: Julio, 5
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Julio?
Customer: None that we can think of.
Answered by Jav917 in 20 mins 2 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Customer
I'd rather chat on my computer than text
Customer
I need a reptile expert please

Gello,

Nu name is ***** ***** I am a Vet Tech with ober 4-9 years in Reptile Health.

Has the black been progressing uo the tail?

Is there a separation between the body and the tail?

Joan

Customer
the black is progressing up the tail very slowly. It is black. No separation between body and tail.
Customer
keep discussion on line please
Customer
He can't feel his tail. Does not use it to hang from our move it at all. When we push on it he does not feel it. However when we touch his tail right above his body he still jumps like before.
Customer
Did you get my response via website or do u need to only communicate via text?

I read your response and I am working on the answer.

Joan

Customer
thank you

kyour dewscription the tail has tail rot which is progressive and can bcome a systemic infection. The best thing for the Crestie is to have a Herp Vet to remove the tail. They can do well without it, but cresties are one of the Reptiles that cannot regenerate a tail unlike a Leopard Gecjo.

Uf the tail is not removed the rot will prgress all the wat to the body and then become a systemic ingections in the body.

I would be happy to locate a Herp Vet whoi can safely remove the tail and give an Antibiotic if needed. Please supply a State or Country and I can get you a link for Herp Vets.

Please reply to discuss this information.

Joan

Customer
Thank you for this valuable information. We had hoped he would eventually drop his tail on his own. Having it removed will be difficult for him as well going under anastesia. With all your experience have you seen a crested gecko have a tail removed via surgery? Could you go ahead and find a Herp Vet so we can contact them as well. We live in Logan Utah but the closest large city is Salt Lake City Utah.

Most lilely they can remove under a local anesthesia and come home the same day. This is the best for his health and his movenment will not be restrained by the dead tail.

These are Herp Vets un Utah:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/utah.html

I hope this is hel[ful. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 4 stars. This way I will get credit for my answers.

Joan

Customer
Thank you for your help! We will contact a specialist very soon!

Afrer you rete my service, You will be able to add me as a Favorite expertof you need firther help.

Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.