My bearded dragon's right hind leg is twice as big as the others and hes limping and barely using it. It's just swollen

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My bearded dragon's right hind leg is twice as big as the others and hes limping and barely using it
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Does anything look different with the Bearded Dragon's legs/feet? When did this start?
Customer: It's just swollen and it's been like 2 or 3 days
JA: What's the Bearded Dragon's name?
Customer: Siberias or sai for short
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No hes still eating and drinking it's just his leg
Answered by Jav917 in 16 mins 2 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hellom

My name is ***** ***** I am a Vet Tech with over 40 years in Reptile health.

Is there any retained shed on the leg?

How old is the dragon?

Did the dragon carch is foot or leg on anything?

Diet?

type of substrate?

Joan

Customer
There is no retained shed on the leg and hes about 6 months old. I'm not sure if he caught his foot on something but he has a hammock in his cage that he could have got it caught on. I feed him mealworms and I dont know what type of bearded dragon he is

Type of substrate/ bedding?

Do you feed any other feeders and Veggies?

Joan

Customer
No other feeders or veggies and I have a green terrarium liner for the bedding

A dragon under a year sghould be on an 80% live prey diet No meal or super worms they are not digestible. Crickets, silk worms, Phoenix worms and Dubia Roaches are the best feeders. 20% of the diet is Veggies under a tear. Over a year this will reverse to more Veggies.

This link below is the Veggies

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

As far as the leg the Hammocks are notorious for injuring legs. the foot gets causght and the dragon twists injuring the leg.

Other possibilities are Gout and Metabolix Bone Disease. The only way to know and treat the leg is to have the dragon into a Herp Vet. I can locate some with Sate or Country.

I want to add the dragon needs calcium 5 days a week on allfood as well as a Vitamin 2 days a week.

Please reply with locating for a link with Herp Vets and we can discuss this information or questions you may have.

The leg reqyires medication to reduce inflammation and pain.

Joan

Customer
I put calcium powder on the mealworms and I did not know that about mealworms thank you.

Please let me know if you need a Vet.

Joan

Customer
I need a vet

Please supply State or Country.

Joan

Customer
Texas

These are TX Herp Vets:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/texas.html

Happy Holidays.

Joan

Customer
thank you
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.