It’s been a few days and our gecko is still doing poorly. When we pick him up he flails around and he usually is so

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: It’s been a few days and our gecko is still doing poorly. When we pick him up he flails around and he usually is so calm. I just soaked him and fed him some supplement food from the vet. Will this process just take awhile or will he not be able to recover?? I’m really blaming this all on the 200 watt UVB bulb feeders supply gave us.
Renée Mullin
Answered by Anna in 7 mins 3 years ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hello again. Thank you for requesting me. I’m sorry to hear he is still not doing well. His skin looks almost damaged in the picture, and that could be from the powerful UVB light. When you feed him the special food, does he take it willingly?Anna
Customer
I have to keep offering it with a syringe and he licks some and stops. I’m trying to be persistant
Customer
It’s just so sad,
Customer
Are you there
I just received your replies. I did a little reading on the effects of too much UVB on geckos. It really can burn their skin and damage their eyes, especially in the lighter-skinned ones. The situation is very sad.
Customer
Is there anything we can do? I’ve contacted the pet store and they were suppose to get back with me but they haven’t. They were going to speak with corporate about the sale of the 209 watt bulb.
I wouldn’t give up on him yet. Lizards are pretty sturdy, and I’ve seen them recover from some pretty bad things. As long as you can get him to eat, there’s hope. I’m glad you’re trying to be persistent, as that is what you need to do. Besides the syringe, there is another way to try feeding him. It may not work because he is so sick. But if it does,mitt will make things much easier for you, so it’s worth a try. Just drop a small dollop of the food right on the tip of his snout. Many times, reflexes will cause them to lick it off.I won’t be surprised if the pet store never gets back to you. They don’t want to acknowledge any responsibility.As far as what you can do, I would continue the soaks, try snout feeding, and if that doesn’t work, continue to be persistent. It can take awhile to recover from something like this. If you don’t see any improvement at all within the next week, he probably won’t be able to recover. I hope that won’t be the case.
That should have said it will make things easier, not mitt. Autocorrect. Sorry for any confusion.
Here is an in-depth article on UVB. It recommends very tiny amounts for geckos. You’ll see that the light you were sold to begin with is designed for large reptiles in big cages, who need a lot of UVB. I’m not sure why a pet store was even selling it. Such lights would be needed in zoos, and could be a specialty item for people who breed larger lizards and tortoises.http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/An-In-Depth-Look-At-UV-Light-And-Its-Proper-Use-With-Reptiles/
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.