PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 years experience in veterinary medicine, special interest in reptiles and arachnids.
8538164

How much is this I have a very sick turtle There are no

How much is this I have a very sick turtle There are no Reptile vets close by
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What's the matter with the turtle?
Customer: Its a Male Red Eared slider. I got him when he was a baby in June of this year. He was probably 2" in length. He is wheezing and coughing, not swimming like he usually does he isn't himself sneezing a lot, blowing a lot of bubbles out
JA: Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the turtle's name and age?
Customer: Sonny, I dont know his age, Like I said I got him in June and he was about 2 inches in length
JA: OK. Is it a kitten or an adult?
Customer: It is a turtle?
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the turtle?
Customer: no
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hello?

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help. I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I’m afraid I don’t have any control over your wait time, but I will be happy to assist you moving forward. Will you give me an update on how your companion is doing at this time so that I can move forward with addressing your concern? Have there been any changes since your original post? Note: If you are using the application, it would be strongly recommended to log into the website at www.justanswer.com to read responses and reply. The app can be finicky with large volumes of text, pictures and video.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No improvements since the original message. He really isn't swimming around like he normally does, he seems very out of energy if that makes sense. When he is above water he is wheezing like it is hard for him to even take a breath, and when he is underwater he is bowing out a ton of bubbles that he has never done before

Thank you for the update.

First, what specific questions can I answer for you today?

Second, where are you located, city/state?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
From what I have read it appears he has a respiratory infection. The tank is a constant 78 degrees Fahrenheit. Is the tank warm enough? I have isolated him from his sister to keep her safe. I am nowhere near a reptile vet which is my worry, there is no way I can get him any help ☹️. Mason city, IL
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The closest normal vet clinic is 20 miles away

I am typing an answer for you right now but I want to be sure that you're aware that large volumes of text associated with answers often do not transmit well via the app/text. You may need to access the website in order to see the response that will be coming through from my end. This will come through in the next 2-3 minutes. Please stand by.

The closest clinic that I can find that sees reptiles in your area is in Petersburg, IL (20 minutes from home): http://petersburgvetclinic.com/exotic-pet/springfield-vet.php I do strongly feel that your companion requires an examination and treatment. There is no legal way for us to prescribe medication which means that your companion must see a vet that can examine and diagnose them, perform necessary diagnostics (like x-rays), obtain a current weight and prescribe proper medication for the ailment. This is usually an injectable form of antibiotics like Baytril.

If Sonny is an RES, he needs far higher temps than what are currently being provided. The tank water should be at a steady 75-80 degrees with a heater being supplied. The hot spot temp should be around 90-95 degrees. Ambient temp should be in the 80s. Too low of a temp absolutely can cause URI symptoms such as the wheezing, coughing and blowing bubbles.

It has been my honor to assist you today, I hope this information has been helpful as I take a great deal of pride in my work. I will be standing by if you have any questions I did not address, please feel free to reply and I will respond further. Please be sure to leave a rating or issue thanks before signing off today so that I know you received my response above. It’s imperative for this to be done for the website to compensate me for helping you.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you for the info, I will try my best to make it there tomorrow. How should I transport him there?

Keep him as warm as possible. If you can, transport in a box or sterilite tub in a car that's already warm. If the area is cold, put a heating pad under the substrate in box/tub. You can put the heating pad down first, lay a towel down on top of it and then place your companion on top. The pad can be set from low to medium. The idea is to help keep up their ambient temp but not to reach a temp so high it will burn them.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you for the help tonight! I really wish there was a way for me to get to that vet quicker. But I do understand that you cannot treat him over the phone.

My pleasure. I do wish that there was a closer ER option that sees reptiles, but the closest one that I have found is Elmwood Park which is 3+ hours from home.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
In the meantime is there anything I can do for him OTC? Any sort of medicine I can get for him before I can get him to the vet?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
His breathing worries me

I'm afraid there's not any medication that can be purchased OTC that will make any difference in his condition before he can be examined. Unfortunately, it may take many days before even antibiotics are effective. The most efficacious approach right now will be dry-docking with a hot spot around 90 degrees and ambient temp in the 80s. The increased temps should help dry some of the mucus that's internal and aid with their respiratory rate. Drydocking info here: https://yarmouthvetcenter.com/dry-docking-turtles.pml

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you. You have answered all of my questions, very good tonight!

I'm happy I was able to assist :)