My chameleon's recently fell from a height of about a foot to a foot and a half, and afterward she chose to stay near

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: my chameleon's recently fell from a height of about a foot to a foot and a half, and afterward she chose to stay near the bottom of her enclosure. she would hang on vines toward the bottom, and only ventured near the top once that i could see. when i got home yesterday night, i saw that she was at the bottom of her enclosure, hidden behind a fake plant. she had chosen to go to sleep there of all place. i was immediately worried and handled her in order to get her back up to higher ground. when i did handle her, she hissed without opening her mouth a few times, but didn't darken or anything like that. in fact, away from the direct light of her lamps, she closed her eyes again... almost like she would have been okay going to sleep in my hand. i registered that as very abnormal. her feet would shake before they latched onto my fingers. the next day, i checked on her and saw that she was near the bottom of the enclosure again. her mouth was slightly open, and since i tossed roughly 15 crickets in her enclosure 2 days ago, she hasn't eaten any of them. i tried to hand feed her and she was not interested. when i misted down her enclosure she didn't lick any of the leaves. right now, a few hours later, i've come to find her at the bottom left of her enclosure by the fake plant again. only this time she's throwing up a darker mucus-y goo and her tongue is partially out. :(
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your chameleon will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your chameleon?
Customer: she's roughly 6-8 months old, has not yet tried to lay eggs, is normally feisty when one goes near her. that's about it :/
Answered by Jav917 in 8 hours 3 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I am a Vet tech with over 40 years with experience in Reptile Health and care.

Type of enclosure?

UVB bulb, strength, age and brand?

Ful spectrum basking bulb?

Diet?

Supplements and how often?

Temps in basking area and ambient temp?

Automister?

Type of Chameleon?

Joan

Customer
Hi Joan. It was a Zilla 18x36, I believe. UVB was the reptisun 5.0, 13 watt, about 6 months old - I was in the process of replacing it and moving to a 10.0 of the same brand and variety. Full spectrum basking, yeah. Diet was mainly super worms, crickets, mealworms, and occasionally pothos when she took bites from the plants in her enclosure. I was dusting her food with reptivite roughly twice a week. Ambient temp was normally around 80-85. Her basking area was around 90-95. No auto mister. I normally made sure she was misted 3-4 times a day, and before everything happened, I would almost always see her drink. She's a veiled chameleon.

I suspect the reason for the fall is the onset of Metabolic Bone Disease.

A chameleon is not scared of climbing and is part of their insti nctto climb to stay away from danger.

UVB and calcium is most important/ The UVB metabolizes the calcium into D3 in the body.Your UVB light at 6 months is nit putting out UVB rays the dragon gets weak.

,, I can locate some for you wit a State or Country.

In the interim, there are steps you can take:

Get a new Reptisun 10,9 by Zoomed. UVB bulb

Raise the basking temp to 95

Keep the ambient temp in the upper 70s

Give the Chameleon a warm soak and add some calcium powder to the soak

Take the chameleon out for natural sunlight 3xs a day for 15 minutes. Natural sunlight is a healer.

See the Herp Vet for an exam.

The Chamelon Needs to be no more than 12 inches from the UVB light to get adequate sunlight.

Please reply to discuss this information and a list of Herp Vets.

Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.