I have a Mississippi map turtle and I have had him for about a year now. After a couple of weeks, I started to notice

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have a Mississippi map turtle and I have had him for about a year now. After a couple of weeks, I started to notice that a white spot was developing on his shell. I didn't think too much of it so I just let it go. The white spot on his shell has faded but there are other spots on his shell too. I have been doing some research and I have realized that his shell is pyramiding. And I know that is because I am feeding him too much protein. I looked at a picture that I took of him when I just got him. And comparing to it just now, the bottom of his shell has gotten more black in the grooves of his shell. The grooves in the bottom of the shell that are black do feel softer than the top of the shell. The very top ridges on his shell are more black as well but they don't feel any different. His shell seems to be more white but it is not soft or anything like that. Basically his shell has been getting more black and I don't know if that is normal for a Mississippi map turtle or not.I keep him in a 30 gallon fish tank, the water temp is about 77°F, and the basking spot is about the same. The light bulb is a 75w reptile basking spot lamp. It produces heat, acts like daylight, is used for basking, and has UVA lighting. I have a decorative reptofilter for frogs, newts, and turtles. It filters up to a 55 gallon aquatic terrarium. I have a basking spot for the turtle that has two rocks on it for him the basket on. The basking spot allows him to fully get out of the water and Bask.I hope someone can help because I want to help my turtle. P.S. his name is***** and I hope someone can get to me soon.Sorry for the bad grammar...
Answered by Jav917 in 19 mins 3 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I am a Vet tech with over 40years experiencein Reptile health and their care.

Are the whit spots soft?

UVB, age.brand and strength?

Supplements?

Diet?

Joan

Customer
The white spots on his shell are not soft. The only soft part of the shell that I noticed were the grooves that were black under the shell. I just realized that I have a UVA light. Not a UVB. I do not give my turtle any supplements.

Thank you~ I suspecthe white spots you are seeing are a fungal issue. This is a common issue in water turtles. We treat by drydocking, cleaning the shell with a diluted Betadine and water solution that has been diluted to a dark tea color. The turtle will be able to go back into the tank for one hour a day to eat and defecate. After the hour, the turtle will need to go back in dray dock. Once the shell has been cleaned with the Betadine solution and dried, then you will apply Chlor Trimezole to the area. THis is a non fungal cream. THis cream with the betadine should clear the spots up within a week or two.

You need to add a calcium supplement to what you give for the diet and you should have a calcium block in the tank. Use the UVB over the Drydock as well and move to the tank when in for the hour.

Please reply to discuss this information. If you find my information helpful, please take a moment to rate my sevicePositive.

Joan

Customer
what things would I need to buy?
Customer
Thank u so much for your answer but I am still worried about the black in the grooves under the shell. The turtle's belly. Do you know anything about how to fix that?

When using the Betadine and wateryou can use on all the areas white and black and use a soft tooth brush on the shell to help clear it up. The Betadine is Antibacterial and the Chlor Timezole is Antifungal crea,. THis should resolve the problem. If it gets worse or does not resolve within two weeks then a Herp Vet visit should be done.

You need Betadine

Water to dilute Betadine

Chlor Timezole Antifungal cream

A rubbermade to keep the turtle in rydock lined with dry paper towels

Calcium to feed daily to work with the UVB and be metabolized into D3 in the body and preveny Metabolic Bone Disease.

A calcium block for the tank.

Treat the turtle 4 times a day with Betadine and water solution and only twice a day with Antifungal cream.

You need a soft tooth brush for cleaning the shell.

Please let me know if you need a Herp Vet, I can get you a list if you supply a State or Country.

Please reply to discuss thisinformation.

Joan

Customer
Do you have any idea why my turtle's shell is turning black on the bottom? What caused it?

Youare either dealing with a Fungus or shell rot. As I said in my previous post, you need to dry dock the turtle. While in drydock you need to strip the tank down and clean it. The Betadine solution will help with both issues the shell rot and the fungal issue. It may be wisea Herp Vet visit may nbe needed . If you do not have one, I can lcoate some for you with a State or country.

Joan

Hi, Dr. W here. I am reading your post now.

If you would like to talk over the phone just click accept when the phone prompt pops up.

Did you intend to opt out Joan or was that an accident?

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.