We have a 3 month bearded dragon we found him very weak not moving but he is alive and he keeps opening and closing his

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: We have a 3 month bearded dragon we found him very weak not moving but he is alive and he keeps opening and closing his mouth
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dragon. What is the dragon's name?
Customer: Drago
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Drago?
Customer: No
Answered by Jav917 in 12 mins 3 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I am a Vet tech with over 40 years experience in Reptile care.

Type of substrate?

Size of Tank?

UVB, age strength and age?

Full spectrum basking spotlight?

Diet prey/veggies?

Supplements?

Temp in basking area and ambient temp?

Do you hear clicking or wheezing when opening and closing the mouth?

Joan

Customer
40gallon Tank
100 strength on light
Full basking light
Live crickets and mealworms
Temp is 90
I don’t hear anything when opening and closing mouth
Customer
I don’t see his moving as if he’s breaking but eyes are moving.

Let me re ask about the UVB light. Do you have one, It will be a florecent type light bulb either compact or linear tube and rated a 5.0 or 10.0. and The light you described is a basking light. Regular UVB do not give heat and are rated anywhere between 12 watt to 26 watt

Type of substrate used?

Customer
Compact 10.0
Customer
He was fine this morning

Does he get veggies and if so which ones?

Type of substrate used in the bottom of the tank?

Sorry to askso many questions I am trying to determine what may be causing this problem/

Joan

Customer
Carpet
Every now and then I give him chopped carrots ad broccoli not not offend
Customer
He’s gasping

We have a few possible issues going on. The first thing I need you to do is try and look in the throat and see if there is anything lodged in the throat. This is a possibility if he tried to vomit or regurgitate the prey.

I will stand by.

Joan

Customer
I did I didn’t see anything in there

Two other possibilities for this behavior is a Respiratory infection or Over heating. The stick on thermometers can be off as musch as 20 degrees either way.

The first thing I am going to have you do is Hydrate the Draon by placing in a warm shallow soak for 15 mins and while in there gently massage the abdomen from snout to vent. This will hydrate the Dragon. He may pass stool in the water Dump it and redo the soak.

You have some husbandry issues. The diet should be 80% live prey but no meal worms or super worms. You can give crickets, silk worms, dubia roaches and Phoenix worms. The Veggies you are giving are wrong and should be 29% and given daily. You can include collard greens, dandelion greens, Mustard greens, escarole, Romaine, curly endives and Butternut squash. No spinach or kale they bind calcium.

Al;l food should be dusted with calcium 5 daysa week and 2 dayswith a Vitamin.

Your Temps are way off. The Basking area should be 105-110, ambient temp mid 89s and cool area mid 89s.

All these things can contribute to the problem you are seeing. Right now we need to do the soak and see how the dragon responds. The gasping puts the Dragon in critical condition and will need to see a Herp Vet. I can lcaote one with a State or Country.

Please reply to discuss this information.

Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.