Our female is just over 8 months old, not eating anything for over 6 days. We thought she had to lay her eggs but I

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Our female is just over 8 months old, not eating anything for over 6 days. We thought she had to lay her eggs but I can’t see that she has any bumps around her body. We have tried putting her container in her cage just in case but 3 months ago she laid them in about 3-4 days. She always lets me hand feed her but she won’t eat anything. I found her at the bottom of her cage yesterday on her back after I picked her up she was not moving a lot seems like she’s losing her energy. She normally tries to bite me when I try and hold her but now she lets me pet her
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Female veiled chameleon
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the chameleon. What is the chameleon's name?
Customer: Athena
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Athena?
Customer: No she eats really well, poops a lot so this is not her normal behavior even if she has eggs in her
Answered by Jav917 in 15 mins 3 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I am a Vet Tech with over 40 years experience in Reptiles and their care.

UJoanVB light, strength, ge and brand?

Diet?

Supplements?

Is Athena staying at the bottm of the cage?

Do you have an auto mister?

Customer
Light is zoomed
Customer
Light is also zoomed both light in one
Customer
She also has a basking light 60
Customer
10 med crickets a day
Occasionally we feed her meal worms
Customer
We dust the crickets with calcium
Customer
No she’s on her branches in her cage, yesterday she was trying to climb the walls of the cage that’s how I knew she fell.
Customer
This is Athena right now
Customer
No auto mister, we use small dish and mist her all day
Customer
This is her water dish

The info on the Light does not tell me if it is a UVB or basking light or if you have a Mercury Vapor bulb. I need this information since UVB has a great bearing on what may be happening.

What is the diet and do you use supplements?

Joan

Customer
She has a basking light and a UV light

How old is the UVB>

Is it a Mercury Vapor Bulb or is it a Reptisun 5.0 or a 10.0?

Customer
This is her basking light it’s 50 watts just bought it a couple of days ago
Customer
She has a lamp with a red and white bulb that we bought a PetSmart
Customer
I can try and use an oven mitt and unscrew the bulbs to see but they are super hot

That is not a UVB bulb.Thebulb you showed me dowes not give UVB rays. A UVB is a florecent type bulb. It is low wattage and gives UVB rays and does not get very warm.

Joan

Customer
She does have a UV bulb red and white I just don’t know the maker or watts

Red bulbs are infra red and do not give UVB.

Joan

Customer
We have a UVB
Customer
No our white bulb is not that so we need to get that bulb
Customer
She is at the bottom of cage in the egg laying bin so maybe she has eggs and just can’t lay them

THat is a UVB, and they are only good for 6 months. They will give light, but no UVB. Do you have this bulb, agge and is is a 10.0

THis is the bulb that is needed. It metabolizes the calcium you should be giving into D3 in the body

Joan

Customer
Ok no we don’t but will go get it right now
Customer
Could that be the hold up on her laying her eggs?

F Lack of UVB and calcium can cause all type of issues including Metabolic Bone Disease.

THe eggs pull calcium from the body and can leave the Chameleon with Metabolic Bone Disease. It can cause egg binding.

The lack of UVB can cause lack of appetite as well as lethargy.

I would get a Reptisun 10.0 and take some baby food chicken

and mix some calcium in it and try to feed as a supplemental feeding.

I also suggest a warm soak for 15 mins to hydrate the chameleon. Once done with the soak pat dry and place under the lights.

There are two lights that give UVB a Mercury Vapor Bulb Or the Reptisun 10.0. The MVB bulb lasts for a years and gives heat as well as UVB.I suggest a Herp Vet visit to have her checked for eggbinding as well asany other issues since she has not eaten in 6 days.

Chameleons do not drink from standing water so a water fountain or automister will help.

Please rely to discuss this information.

Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.