I have an 7-9 month old crested gecko, he weighs 4.08g. Hes a rescue from my work he wasnt being looked after properly

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have an 7-9 month old crested gecko, he weighs 4.08g.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the gecko?
Customer: hes a rescue from my work he wasnt being looked after properly which is why hes stunted, he also looks like he has a lot of deformities from the egg. His entire head curves to the left he has a curved jaw, short and underdeveloped legs and feet on the left hand side. And one massive eye ive had him on critical care and high calcium food as i had a feeling he was heading down the MBD route, all swelling had come down but i cant get him to gain weight
JA: What is the gecko's name?
Customer: he doesnt have one yet as hes not technically mine
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the gecko?
Customer: he was only ever fed locusts, not tong fed either. He’d never eaten a crested gecko diet before i met him
Answered by Jav917 in 2 hours 3 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I am a Vet tech with over 40 years experience with Reptiles and their care.

What are you feeding?

Supplements?

Have you checked the cacium reserves in the Crestie?

Type of substrate you are using?

Humidity?

Are you using a UVB light?

Joan

Customer
Before I took him:
he was kept on coco soil
He had UV
Only fed live food, sometimes dusted with nutrobal.
He was sprayed once a day.
Kept between 26-28cHow I keep him:
I feed him Pangea Breeding and Growth and occasionally Emerald IC Carnivore critical care.
I keep him on paper towels.
He doesn’t eat live food as he regurgitates it.
He has a brand new UV bulb.
I keep humidity between 60-80%
I keep him between 23-26cI haven’t checked calcium reserves as he’s very nervous and very small, they were probably low since his tail was linked and one eye was very swollen, which have both eased since I’ve had him.

I would add Repashy Crested Gecko diet in addition to what you are feeding. Repashy is specially formulated for geckos and they have a specific formulation. You can also blend some Papaya and namgo fresh and mix a little in the food.

Next issue is the nutribol. It is a Vitamin that has calcium. YOu need a plain Calcium like Flukers calcium without Phosphorus. You then need to use Reptivite. Use the calcium 5 days a week and the Vitamin 2 days and keep a dish of calcium in the tank at all time.

Honestly, the coconut coir that they used in the bottom of the tank was not bad. It holds moisture.

When the Crestieopens its mouth you can check the calcium reserves. They are two bumps in the back of the throat. Of they are large the calcium is good if the caclium is depleted they will be very small and look like a baloon that has lost air.

I would have a Herp Vet see the Crestie to be checked for Parasites since it was stressed by the original poor care. If you need a Herp Vet, please supply a State or Country and I can supply a link with a list of Herp Vets.

Make sure your bulb is a UVB bulb and not a full spectrum/ UVB does not put out heat.

List to do

Add Repashy and fresh fruit

add plain calcium

Add Reptivite

Check calcium reserves

See a Herp Vet for Parasite Check

Please reply to discuss thus information and for a Herp Vet.

Joan

Customer
He won’t eat repashy, and because of his weight struggles I’m not willing to risk it forcing him into it.
Pangea is also a fully formulated crested gecko diet just like Repashy. The mix he is on is higher in calcium than a standard mix as it’s for growing babies and breeder females.He clear of parasites.I have the MBD under control.I’m more worried about his deformities.
His head is curved to the left and everything on his left side is really underdeveloped, he has a small eye, short legs, and his feet aren’t properly formed.
They prevent him from moving around normally, he can’t climb very well.
I don’t want to keep him alive for the sake of it, especially if he won’t ever do well.He really isn’t thriving, for the month I’ve had him there’s been very little improvement.
I’m going to fight it as best I can but;How do I know when to call it quits?
At what point would you get a gecko euthanised?I live in the UK I’d love to know some vet suggestions :)
Customer
I don’t mean to come across as if I’m not listening to your advice,
I’ve been in this position with cresteds before so I know what to do, but what I’m doing isn’t helping him like it should be this time.
I take in sick geckos and geckos with bad genetics so I’m used to the special diets and intensive care stuff.I appreciate your help :)

I wish you luck! I do a lot of rescue work and I think cresties are probly the hardest to rehab. Hopefully he will snap out of it and start responding.

Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.