She's eating minimal amounts of her Fluker's buffet blend, she won't eat fruit or superworms, and now she's not pooping,

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: She's eating minimal amounts of her Fluker's buffet blend, she won't eat fruit or superworms, and now she's not pooping, just a little white ball today, size of a half of a pea
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Sorry, bearded dragon, approximately 17 months old, she was a rescue, I've had her for 10 months. She was malnourished when I got her, unhandleable, but now we are close, but she won't let anyone else hold her. She is afraid of baths, She loves the mister bottle, I think she may have been traumatized prior to being rescued
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dragon?
Customer: I offer her all of the appropriate fruits and vegetables, but she's very picky. Usually loves superworms and flukes buffet blend
Answered by Jav917 in 4 hours 3 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I am a Vet tech with over 40 years experience in Reptiles and their care.

Type of substrate used?

UVB, strength, age and brand?

Full spectrum basking bulb?

Diet Do you feed fresh veggies/ Do you feed prey other ant super worms?

Supplements?

Temp in basking area. ambient temp and cool area?

Joan

Customer
Substrate: "All Living Things" reversible reptile habitat carpet, zoomed Reptisun 10.0 UVB, with UVA, with full spectrun bsking lamp combo set purchased with double ballast 9/18. She gets dried veggie & fruit mix rehydrated, cut up fruit & vegetables cut fine, or puréed when needed. She did like gut loaded crickets, calcium dusted superworms, and the Fluker's bearded dragon blend. She's very picky so I've been introducing fresh fruits and vegetables slowly to make sure she's eating enough, and a good variety. She drinks water, and is misted daily. Basking temp is 95-100F, cool side is 65-75 degrees F, I don't have a gage in the middle, but I can get one. Thank you for any help Joan, I thought they were sending me to a dog vet, sorry, I got worried.

Thank you , How old is the UVB bulb?

Have you done any soaks?

Joan

]

FNor the most part your husbandry is good, but the diet needs to be toatally revamped. o Died foods only fresh Veggies and their are enough that are good staples that the Dragon can find that it likes. This list is color coded:

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

You need to stop all the fruits. It is fine as a treat but it is too much sugar. Under a year of age Dragons need 20% Veggies, but this goes to 80% at a year of age. As far as the prey, super worms and meal worms should Neve be fed. They are too high in chitin and fat, they are not digestibe and over time can cause Liver problems. Better feeders are gut loaded crickets, silk worms, Phoenix worms and Dubia Roaches. wax worms and horn worms are a a treat. All food should be dusted with calcium 5 days a week and 2 days with a Vitamin. After a year the Veggies should be 80% of the diet. The processed food and dehydrated Veggies have lost the nutrition through processing.

I suggest starting the Dragon in a warm soak at least 3 times a week. THe Dragon needs to start the soak as soon as possible becuse it is not getting hydration from the foods you have been feeding. that your UVB bulb is less than 6 months of age.

The dietary update is very important to help your dragon. As I said if you review the list of foods you will see danelion greens and flowers which are a good staple along with escarole and curly endives and if the dragon does not those try some of the others. Hopefully this will help the appetite and activity level. If you find there is no chage, then I suggest a fecal check and a health exam. If you do not have a Herp Vet I can locate some for you with a State.

Please reply to discuss this information.

Joan

Read less
unlike
2 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.