I have 2 Western painted red ear slider turtles they are both about 4 1/2 years old and I have a question about their

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have 2 Western painted red ear slider turtles they are both about 4 1/2 years old and I have a question about their growth process see cause I have one female and one male my female she is about 6 inches long and my male is only about 3 inches long I feed them both the same mixture of river shrimp pellet and krill they are both in a 75 gallon tank and I have had them since hatchlings but I have seen no growth in my male turtle is he okay is there something wrong with him thank you so much for reviewing this I will be waiting whenever thank you
Answered by Jav917 in 46 mins 3 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I am a Vet tech with over 40 years experience with Reptiles and their care.

Do you have wetern painted turtles or Red eared sliders. There are two different species.

Diet?

Supplements?

UVB light, age brand and strength?

Basking spotlight?

Size of tank?

Supplements?

Joan

Customer
Oh yeah sorry they are red ear sliders their diet is dried river shrimp krill and floating pellets I occasionally dust with calcium I do have a uv bulb on the tank to keep them warm and they are 4 1/2 years old the tank idk the exact dimensions of the tank but it is 75 gallons and they do have a floating basking table in the water for them to bask in
Customer
My female is growing fine she is growing bigger and bigger but my male isnt

A UVB light does not give heat it is a florescent type light thta giuves artificial sunlight and works with a daily calcium sunlight to metabolize calcim into D3 in the body. The turtles also need a basking spotlight to supply warmth.

The UVB should be a 10.0 and less than 6 months old.

The diet should be 50% leafy veggies, 25% pellets and 26^ live prey or cooked meats.

Twemps in the water should be 78 and basking area should be 95.

Calcium should be on all food daily as well as a clacium block kept in the tank.

A Male turtle has a concave Carapus so it can easily breed and is always small than the female turtle.

If your Male turtke seems like it is smaller in size.

I hope this resolves the questions you may have, Please reply fr further help. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Customer
it does thank you so much

You are very welcome!

Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.