I’ve found bugs in my reptiles cage I keep it very clean 100% I’ve mostly found them in the humid hide if I upload

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I’ve found bugs in my reptiles cage I keep it very clean 100% I’ve mostly found them in the humid hide if I upload pictures can anyone identify them for me?
Answered by Jav917 in 11 mins 3 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I am a Vet Tech with Over 40 years experience in Reptiles and thier care.

Please post the picture and I will see if I can I dentify the bugs and where they may come from.Do you feed crickets?

Is this a Leopard Gecko enclosure?

Joan

Customer
this is a leopard gecko enclosure they manly eat super worms they never eat anything else they kinda look like beetles , I’m not really sure but I only find them in the humid hide when I’m going to spray them
Customer
The 2nd is the one I found today I’m getting worried they looked like bed bugsso I started panicking but I’m not sure , regardless I’m calling people to come spray tomorrow , I’m worried about them

The Picture is not very clear.Do the bugs look like beetles?

Joan

Customer
They do kinda look like beetles but I’m not sure , I’ve found them in the cracks of the paper towels in the humid hide
Customer
My mother in law said they do but they also don’t at the same time

Super worms and meal worms wiill go through a Metamorphosis of suer worm to a Pupa and into a Beetle. That is the reason I asked about this. The superworms that are not eaten will crawl off to hide andthen shed the chitin which is the hard outer shell and eventually wind up a as small hard beetle. These worms and crickets are always questions when their altered state or nymphs are found in a reptile tank.I always advise do not leave uneaten prey in the tank

This is a common problem.

Please reply to discuss this information.

Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.