I have a juvenile bearded dragon. I purchased him/her February 1st at a Petco near me. He was small then but now he is

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hello! I have a juvenile bearded dragon. I purchased him/her February 1st at a Petco near me. He was small then but now he is about 16 inches. He seems healthy in every way except there is a small black sharp looking object protruding from his vent. He has had two bowl movements, yesterday and today, since I noticed it. I tried to move it but it seems stuck. I placed him in the bath to try and wash it away but it is still there. Should I be concerned?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dragon?
Customer: did you see my above explaination?
JA: Where does the dragon seem to hurt?
Customer: He doesn't seem to hurt at all. I am concerned that this object is sticking out of his anus
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dragon?
Customer: No
Answered by Jav917 in 1 hour 3 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** and I am a Vet Tech with over 40 years experience in Reptiles and their care?

Type of substrate used?

Diet Veggies and Prey?

Supplements?

Do you have a picture of the area?

Joan

Customer
We have offered greens and fruits often. He won't do more than kick them once or twice so his diet is all live prey: crickets, super worms, calcium worms, wax worms, meal worms, dubia roaches. Subtrate: is a mat from a pet store for dragons. We used sand from a pet store for dragons but I didn't like it so I went back to the mat. I can take a picture and send it.
Customer
I gave him another bath and now the object is more clear and it seems to be softer .

Once the picture is in your computer, use the paper clip icon in the tool bar to upload the picture here.

I would like to wait for the picture.

Joan

Customer
Could it be a piece of a cricket leg?
Customer
How can I send the picture

Once the picture is in your computer you can upload using the computer, use the paper clip icon in the tool bar to upload here in the thread.

Joan

Customer
I don't see a paperclip on your site
Customer
I tried to send you a picture via email and it wouldn't send.
Customer
Oh, I see it now. What do you think?

Thank you Igot the picture. Please give me a few minutes to work on your answer.

Joan

I enlarged and I adjusted the picture and it looks like an undigested meal worm or super worm. We do not recommend feeding either of those two worms. They are not digestible becuse of high chitin, they ar too high in fat and super worms can cause liver damage over time.

Ceickets, silk worms, Phoenix worms and dubia roaches are great feeders, but wax worms and horn worms are treats. No meal worms or super worms.

You need to get usedto feeding veggies because they need to be 80% of the diet over a year old and the prey dropsto 20% at a year.

Veggies well accepted are dandelion greens, butternut squash, escarole, curly endives, collard greens and mustard greens.

I would give a little baby food prunes wait 45 mins and then do a warm soak and massage the abdomen snout to vent and see if he passes that piece. If it does not pass by Monday, I would have the Vet take a peek. Dragons will eat anything, so keeping an eye out is important when out of the tank.

If you need a Herp Vet I can locate one with a State.

Please reply to discuss this information. Incidently sand and walnut shell are deadly good choice on the cage carpet.

Joan

I will be going off line now for a few hours, but will be back later. Please let me know if you need the Herp Vet by posting your State. When I comback I will look and post a link for you of local Herp Vets. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Customer
Good information. Thank you! I have done a lot of research and found that there is a lot of misinformation. I did have a pet store employee say that the worms weren't easily digested, I guess I should have listened. Many people who have dragons as pets do feed them the worms, and does love them, but he has had his last. I know he needs the veggies. I guess I will pay more attention to training him to eat them. Do you recommend a live plant from the approved greens list, in his habitat?

Most of the books on dragons are outdated and all that changesis the date of the last printing, no new info.

As far as Pet co, the sand and the walnut shell is sold as a safe edible substrate and I have fought with Petco higher ups about not educating their employees about the dangers and letting the consumer know.

I had a dragon last night who was deathly ill after being on walnutshell.

Silk wormsand Phoenix worms aka calci worms. They have to be ordered and delivered, but I find it worth the extra effort.

This is a link for veggies:

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Feel free to add me as a favorite expert.

Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.