I went abroad this past semester and left my leopard gecko with my parents. I came back 2 weeks ago, and my gecko is

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hi, I went abroad this past semester and left my leopard gecko with my parents. I came back 2 weeks ago, and my gecko is very thin and is not eating well. My parents say that she had been eating less and less for the past month and half, and had been shedding a lot. I have a heat lamp as well as a heating pad under her hide, but the heat lamp had burned out while I was gone. I replaced it 2 weeks ago, and the temperature is back to 80ish degrees in the air and a bit hotter in her hide. I got her wax worms in hopes of fattening her up, which she was originally excited for but is now no longer eating. I usually feed her a mix of meal worms and crickets, but she does not seem interested in them anymore. I have a a felt substrate, not sand, and I coat the crickets in calcium and leave a bit of calcium at all times on one of her rocks. Her stool is watery, but it also seems like she is drinking more water than usual based on my observations. I'm calling my vet tomorrow, so hopefully I will be able to get her checked soon since I am very worried.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infestations your leopard gecko can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your leopard gecko?
Customer: I think that's all. Thank you.
Answered by Jav917 in 59 mins 3 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I am a Vet Tech with over 40 years experience in Reptiles and their care.

Type of substrate?

Supplements? Do you keepa dish in the tank?

Any retained shed in the eyes?

Temp in enclosure?

Joan

Customer
type of substrate- felt
Supplements- calcium powder on crickets and i keep some powder on one of the rocks for her to lick off
Eyes- I can't see any retained shed in the eyes
Temp- low 80s in the air, and then I have a heating pad under one of her hides.

Thank you! YOur husbandry is good although I would put the calcium in a little dish in the tank which would be better.

The issue you are seeing will need a Herp Vet to determine if there is a Bacterial or parasitic issue.

Crickets can carry parasites and pass them on to the Gecko.

I can locate some Herp Vets for you if you supply a state or country. In the mean time we can step in and help the Gecko with a warm soak for 1bout 15 mins. this will hydrate the Gecko. For emergency feeding please take some chicken baby food stage one and add some calcium mix well and drop it on the snout and allow the gecko to lick it off. You can repeat until full several times a day to keep some food going in.

Please let me know if you would like the lis of Herp Vets or if you would like to discuss this information.

Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.