We have a leopard geiko & her hand is swollen. Litzy age 6 mos. She’s eating fine but one hand is twice as big as the

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: We have a leopard geiko & her hand is swollen
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the leopard gecko's name and age?
Customer: Litzy age 6 mos
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Litzy?
Customer: She’s eating fine but one hand is twice as big as the other
Answered by Jav917 in 3 hours 3 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I am a Vet Tech with over 30 years excperience in Reptiles and their Care.

Type if substrate?

Diet?

Supplements?

Heat source?

Temp in enclosure?

When was ast shed?

Any problems with the shed?

If you look at the foot, do you see any shed rings on the leg or foot?

Do you have a Moist as well as a dry hide?

Joan

Customer
Diet of crickets which are fed with banana & apple & the calcium water cubes. Worms occasions.Temp 90 right now because red light is on, white light on with that during the day.She hadn’t shed in a few weeks.Not sure of shed ring. It has one pinkish one around wrist.Have hiding places & fresh water each day.
Customer
Better one here

Thank you! I could not see the leg well, but there are two possible issues causing the the swelling. The first is an infection in the foot. The second issue which is most liely a band of sed wraped around the ankle that has cut off the blood flow to the foot causing swelling. Retained shed rings are common and Geckos can loose toes limbs and . If you find it gently work on it to get it offpats of tail die to shed rings and the eyes can also get retained shed.

I need to refer you to a Herp Vet for this. I am hoping the vet can save the food. In the mean time get the gecko into a warmsoak and gently check the leg around the ankle for a ring of shed constricting the leg. While in the soak if you find the ring of shed , gently work to get the retained shed ring off to allow blood flow.

If you do not have a Herp Vet, Please let me know and I can locate some for you with a State or Country.

Please reply to disucss this information or questions. Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.