I have a bearded dragon and have some concerns. She keeps opening her mouth like she is gagging or choking. She will

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have a bearded dragon and have some concerns
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dragon?
Customer: She keeps opening her mouth like she is gagging or choking. She will take super deep beathes and super fast. Also i am treating tail rot or what i believe it to be. I medicate with iodine and non pain relief neosporin.Seems to be getting better. But today i noticed when her beard got super dark so did her tail? Is any of this normal
JA: Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dragon?
Customer: Sometimes loses an appetite. Will take a few bites of greens like 5 small pieces of fruit and somedays are crickets and others are just mealsworms sometimes none at all. But only goes like 2 days without then nipples here and there
Answered by Jav917 in 6 hours 3 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I am a Vet Tech with 35 years Reptile Care.

What is the Normal diet of Veggies/prey?

How long has this been going on?Are you treating with Betadine and water diluted to a dark tea color to treat the tail?

Joan

Customer
I have tried asparagus, kiwi, mango, flukers dragon diet (wont eat) crickets, and mealworms. For tail rot yes i use betadine

You need to update the diet. What you are feeding is not a good diet and you need to use this Nutrition sheet to update the Veggies:http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Follow the green foods. As far as prey you are feeding something that is not digestible, too high in fat and chitin and can cause liver disease over time. Suoper worms and meal worms should not be fed to Dragons.

I suggest Crickets no bigger than the space between the eyes, dubia roaches, Phoenix worms, silk worms are all acceptable. Wax worms and Horn worms are treats. Dragons will not eat the pellts and they are worthless.

The opening and closing the mouth is a sigm of a Respiratory issue. This will need to be addressed as soon as possible by a Herp Vet. I can locate some for you with a State or Country. Reptiles are prey animals and hide illness welland when they start shoing signs it is important to have them seen.At the time the Vet sees the Dagon for an RI that can look at the tail. In some cases the tail may need to be amputated above the dark area to stop the progression.

Please reply to discuss this information or for questions.

Joan

Customer
I have also noticed with th mouth opening she makes a small noise. Also when she is trying to poo. Is that normal?
Customer
Is there a specific place i need to get her fruits or veggies? If i buy them from the grocery store do they need to be washed first? If so with what?
Customer
The crickets she will eat very seldom of. How many a day should she be eating
Customer
Locate me a vet please. Live in flint michigan genesee county

The Veggies can come from grocery or fruit stand or even your garden if you grow veggies. The noise you are hearing may be the lungs are congested.

If there has not been a Stool you need to get him in a soak and gently massage the abdomen from snout to vent. The warm soak should help get the stool moving.

If you need a Herp Vet, just supply a location.

Joan

Customer
Location is flint michigan

This is a link with Vets in your area:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/mich.html

I hope you have found this information helpful. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars at the top or bottom of the page depending if you atre on Mobile or OC. After rating you will have the option of marking me as a favorite.

Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.