Veiled chameleon whose tongue is swollen and can't fully retract. Gilgamesh approximately 6mo male. Not that I can think

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Veiled chameleon whose tongue is swollen and can't fully retract
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the chameleon's name and age?
Customer: Gilgamesh approximately 6mo male
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gilgamesh?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Answered by Jav917 in 14 mins 3 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet Tech for 35 years and have been working with Reptiles for over 40 years.

Type of enclosure?

UVB lightm strength, age of bulb and brand>?

Basking light?

Diet?

Supplements?

Temp in basking area and ambient temp?

Automister?

How long has it been swollen?

Joan

Customer
24x24x36 screen enclosureZooMed UVB 26w bought in December 2018 so 4 months oldBasking light 100w (temp range 88⁰f to 70⁰f)Diet mainly consists of dubia roaches and mealworms. Occasionally gets crickets, hornworms, or waxworksDripper with Reptisafe waterNoticed swelling this evening about an hour ago when I went to feed him. Also seems to have problems controlling one front leg. Keeps hitting himself in the head

Thank you! The swollen tongues is a very serious issue and will need to be addressed by a Herp Vet.. I can locate some for you with a State. If CA please let me know north or South.

The swelling could be the result of a Vitamin A Deficiency or could be an Infection. The Chameleon will require an Anti inflammatory and an Antibiotic and if Vitamin A issue they will address that.

Right now we need to hydrate the Chameleon a warm soak. For feeding try some chicken baby food with a pinch of calcium if he swallow it.

Please reply to dicuss this information and for a list of Herp Vets.

Customer
Thank you
Customer
I'll take him to my vet in the morning.

Reptiles are prey animals and hide illness, So it is very important to get him helop as soon a s possible.

When I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service at the top or bottom of the page.

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Joan
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.