My red eared slider that I have had for over 15 years is trying desperately to get out of his aquarium and basking area.

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My red eared slider that I have had for over 15 years is trying desperately to get out of his aquarium and basking area. I cleaned his tank, gave him food, he has plenty of space to swim, a large basking area that he crawls up a ladder to that is above the aquarium with a heat and UVB lamp. He hasn't stopped moving day or night for 3 days.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the slider's name?
Customer: Red
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Red?
Customer: I don't think so
Answered by Jav917 in 43 mins 3 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I am a Vet Tech and have worked with Reptiles over 40 years.

What you are describing is a Femal RES wanting to get out to lay her eggs.

This is a common behavior that we see as spring is arriving. Femal Reptiles can lay eggs even if no male is present.

THis is a You Tube on how to create a lay area for the turtle:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXoMvCZF2z8

I suggest getting the nexting box ready and try her in it daily. It is possible she will lay in the tank or she can become egg bound if she cannot lay them. The egg lay box is mst important as soon as possible.

Joan

Customer
Thanks Joan..... I will try this but years ago I took my turtle to a vet and he said it was a male. Is it normal for a female to go over 15 years and this be the first time she lays eggs? I had no idea. Thank you!

It is very possibel. You can double check for the vent area. If a female the vent is close to the body and the male vent further down towards the end of the tail. A male is concave underneat on the capace becuse the mate from above and need the shell impression to get the female.

This is breeding season and the turtle;s urgency scratching at the eglass is that of a female wanting to lay eggs. If it turns out I am wrong it is a male wantinting to breed.

Please look the turtle over at the bent and underneath and let me know if I am correct.

Joan

Customer
Hi Joan - I'm not entirely sure about the male versus female. I have watched several videos but mine seems in between. His/her name is ***** ***** I've attached pictures in case it helps. Red's nails aren't super short or super long - they are longer than the females I've seen on line. Red's tail is pretty long too but not super thick. The vent is a little ways away from the shell (maybe .25in) but definitely not near the end of the tail - much closer to the shell. Underneath, Red seems pretty flat, not concave or convex. I really appreciate your help. Worst case, I will buy the stuff tonight and give it a try. My biggest issue is I recently moved and don't have anyone who can take Red out everyday and I am leaving tomorrow am for a surgery 5 hours away and won't be back for a week. I will try the container again in the am but I am really hoping Red is not in pain and that he is a he so he will be ok until I return. Red has several timed feeders I have used in the past that have worked just fine when I need to travel. Bad timing for all of this. Thank you so much for any help!!

I deid not see the Vent area, but the carapace is not a males shell. It is flat and not concave, The reason a males carapce is concee so they can asily lay onto of the female shell to breed. It may be worth see a Herp Vet to confirm my suspicion this is a female. All behavior and shell is that of a female.

If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Joan
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.