Eye sockets are sunk in. Panther chameleon. Not growing and eye socket seem sunk in. He does eat. He doesnt hurt. Hes

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Eye sockets are sunk in
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Panther chameleon
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the Panther?
Customer: Not growing and eye socket seem sunk in. He does eat
JA: Where does the Panther seem to hurt?
Customer: He doesnt hurt. Hes really small but eats. His eyes are sunk in
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the Panther's name and age?
Customer: Little man and 4-5 months
JA: What is the Panther's name?
Customer: Little man
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Panther?
Customer: Hasnt grown since we got him
Answered by Jav917 in 15 mins 3 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet Tech for 35 years and have worked with Reptiles over 40 Years. Please give me a moment to rea through the information as I may have some questions for you.

Joan

Do you have a UVB light, strength , brand and age?

Basking full spectrum spotlight bulb?

Diet?

Supplements?

Temp in basking area and ambient temp?

Do you have an auto mister?

How long have you had the chameleon?

Joan

Customer
New and yes to uvb. Yes to basking. Crickets and mill worm only. Calcium drops in spray bottle for misting. 85-90 for basking temp. No auto mister. We mist 2x day by spray bottle. Had him 3-4 months

What is the strength of the UVB, brand? Is it a 5.0 or a 10.0

Do you gut load prey before feeding?

Joan

Customer
5.0 and i forgot the brand. And no about prey
Customer
We have another female panther we got at the same time and shes doung great! We also have a veiled thats doung great on the same feeding and set ups
Customer
We got the bulb at pet smart

You need to Gut load crickets with Vegetation or apples befor feeding or you can use a Flukers gut load prior to feeding. This was the Chameleon is also getting the nutrition.

You should have the Reptisun 10.0 since a lot of the UVB is being blocked by the screening of the enclosure. this is the sa. This will prevent dehydration in your chameleons.

for both.

I can tell you the chameleon is dehydrated and most likely has a parasite issue if not growing and sunlen in eyes.

I suggest a nice warm soak for 15 mins. This will help with hydration and should even perk him up some.

He needs hydration and I suggest an auto mister If you supply a state or country I can locate some Herp Vets. You need to have a fecal done to see if it is a parasite or failure to thrive.

Please reply to discuss this information and for a Herp Vet list.

Joan

Customer
I live in central illinois.

This is a list for IL Herp Vets.

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/indiana.html

He needs the soak as he will absorb the fluid through the skin and vent. If you can get a fresh fecal beforeyou go to the Herp Vet please take one on as that will help.

Please let me know if you have further questions. If I have addressed your concerns, Please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars at the top or bottom of the page.

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Joan
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.