Stopped eating and constantly opening mouth like she's yawning. Red eared slider. Big red and idk her/his age. I don't

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Stopped eating and constantly opening mouth like she's yawning
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Red eared slider
JA: What is the slider's name and age?
Customer: Big red and idk her/his age
JA: OK. Is it a kitten or an adult?
Customer: I don't think it's an adult
JA: What is the slider's name?
Customer: Big red
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the slider?
Customer: She also started to lean to one side likes she's weak or something.. this has been going on for about 4 days
Answered by Anna in 9 mins 3 years ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping reptiles. I’m sorry to hear about this problem. I’m going to work on some information for you now, and will post it as soon as I have it typed up. I appreciate your patience.
Customer
Ok thank you and she's also leaning to one side and making a noise
Thank you for waiting. Your slider has the classic symptoms of a respiratory infection. The frequent yawning is an attempt to get more air into the lungs. When Big Red leans to one side, it’s because fluid has accumulated in her lungs. That keeps her from being able to swim properly, and also interferes with the ability to breathe. Appetite loss often goes with these infections. The noise is caused by fluid in her lungs when she breathes. This condition is very serious. It often progresses to life-threatening pneumonia. There is no home treatment. Big Red needs to be seen by a vet. Respiratory infections are often treated with prescription antibiotics, such as Baytril. It can be given by injection or orally. I recommend you make a vet appointment tomorrow. If you can find one open tonight, that would be better yet. This site has a directory of reptile vets:http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlistIn the meantime, make sure your temperatures are warm enough. Under the basking light should be 85*F to 90*F. The water should be 78*F to 82*F.If you have more questions about this, just let me know. I’m glad to help. I hope Big Red will be able to recover from this.Anna
Customer
Yeah the water and basking light is about those numbers so idk what's going on.
I’m glad you have the right temperatures. Sometimes animals just get sick for no reason, just like we humans do.
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.