I think that our leopard gecko is compacted. I noticed that for the past two days he has not pooped and that he has not

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I think that our leopard gecko is compacted. I noticed that for the past two days he has not pooped and that he has not eaten for those days either. He is young (I say he but am not 100% sure). I have soaked him in warm water twice today (morning and early evening). The substrate is a reptile carpet, however, we use moss for the moist hide. I am concerned that maybe he ingested some of the moss and is not impacted. How can I help this lil guy out?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the leopard gecko will be able to digest that.
Customer: Ok. Thank you. I should also note, that his back legs seem to cause him distress as he does not use them to move currently.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the leopard gecko?
Customer: Before this he ate well, meal worms dusted in calcium. I think that is all the info I have. Thank you.
Answered by Jav917 in 24 mins 3 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Temps in enclosure?

Heat source?

JoanHello

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet Tech for 35 years and have worked with Reptiles over 40 years.

Type of substrate?

Diet? Supplements and any kept in tank?

Joab

Customer
We use an under the tank heat pad. The temp is about high 80’s to 90 on the hot hide side and about 75-79 on the cool side. We keep the moist hose in the middle.
The substrate is a reptile carpet.
He eats meal worms, which we gut load with veggies.
He gets his calcium dusted on his meal worms. We use Zoo Meds reptivite.

Thank you for all the answers. The temps should not go over 88 in the tank. You should keep the moist hide in the warm area. I suggest using moist paper towels in the moist hide and be replaced when needed. The moss can be ingested and cause a blockage.

We can see if he is impacted. Please give a warm soak fo 15 mins in a shallow basin. While in the soak gently massage the abdomen from snout to vent. He should pass stool with this soak If it does not work, please take some baby food prunes and place a dab on the snout and allow him to lick it off. Wait 45 mins and them place back in the soak and repeat the massage from snout to vent. Tis will help produce a stoo.. If he does not go, waiit until the next day and repeats the prunes, wait and then the soak and massage. This can be done up to 3 times, and if it does not work, then a Herp Vet visit would be needed. I can assist you in locating a herp Vet with a State or country if needed.

Please reply to discuss tis information.

Joan

Customer
I did a warm soak earlier today but did not massage from about to vent. Thank you. He seems very uncomfortable but I will give this a go.
Customer
He did not like that. After a few minutes his upper body and head started thrashing back and forth. I stopped the soak for fear that he was going to hurt himself. He did not pass anything but I did massage from just beneath his arms to his vent.

Please let me know if you need a Herp Vet . All I need ais a State or Country. Thw Thrashing was not wanting to be in soak, but it is needed.

If I have addressed your concerns please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Joan
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.