In December I adopted my cousins crested gecko, Luna, a full grown female. at that point she was eating the repasay

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: In December I adopted my young cousins crested gecko, Luna, a full grown female. at that point she was eating the repasay crested gecko food. I supplemented with a live calcium dusted cricket. For a couple of weeks now she hasn't been eating anything. I have tried meal worms, silk worms, rotting fruit, crickets, two different powdered food. She has been fairly active in the evenings. Is it normal that a gecko "fast" or should I be more concerned? I haven't tried baby food yet. I mist everyday, but also have a humidifier. The enclosure is mesh and quite tall. It is what my cousin had her in. I don't know much about reptiles, so I am learning as I go. I just released that I should be cleaning the enclosure every couple of weeks. Could this be why she is not eating? Any help will be appreciated! -Jo
JA: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infestations Luna can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it.
Customer: Thanks
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Luna?
Customer: Not that I can detect. She has allowed me to touch her. But when I offered a little repasay on my finger she turned her face away.
Answered by PitRottMommy in 1 hour 3 years ago
imglogo
PitRottMommy
15+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Crested geckos should be eating every single day. I'm surprised that she's still active, honestly. I will need responses to all of the following questions to help you. It may be of some help to copy and paste the questions and answer them one at a time so they’re still numbered in your response. The more detailed your answers the easier it will be to assist.

1) What are the ambient temp, cool spot and warm spot temps in the habitat? What is the overnight temp?

2) What substrate is being used?

3) Can you tell me about the care she had with your cousin, how long they owned her, etc.

4) What bulbs are being used for the habitat? How old are the bulbs? What type of UV rays do they offer your companion, if any?

5) Has she ever been paired with a male? If so, when? Has she ever produced eggs?

8) What specific vitamin supplementation are you using, if any, and how often is it provided? Any multivitamin?

9) Have you noticed any tremoring of the toes or fluttering of the eyelashes?

10) Is she still drinking well?
11) Have you had any luck with placing food on her snout to see if she will take it?

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
PitRottMommy
logo
logo
logo
15+ years of experience
imglogo
PitRottMommy
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.