My iguana is lifeless she hasn't ate in 3 days. Need vet to talk to. Lizzy. Bout 5 yrs old

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My iguana is lifeless she hasn't ate in 3 days
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your iguana will be able to digest that.
Customer: Need vet to talk to
JA: What is the iguana's name?
Customer: Lizzy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lizzy?
Customer: Bout 5 yrs old
Answered by PitRottMommy in 34 mins 3 years ago
imglogo
PitRottMommy
15+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Customer
She is usually active she'll hold her body firm it is now
Customer
Lifeless has no activity at all she is breathing and I can hear her insides what's wrong with her
Customer
I need a iguana vet

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I will need responses to all of the following questions to help you. It may be of some help to copy and paste the questions and answer them one at a time so they’re still numbered in your response. The more detailed your answers the easier it will be to assist.

1) What are the ambient temp, cool spot and hot spot temps in the habitat? What is the overnight temp?

2) What substrate is being used?

3) When did they last eat?

4) What bulbs are being used for the habitat? How old are the bulbs? What type of UV rays do they offer your companion, if any?

5) How long have you had your companion?

6) What does their diet typically consist of?

7) How many hours of light and dark are they given each day? Do you use any bulbs in their habitat during the dark hours? If so, what color bulb are you using?

8) What vitamin supplementation are you using, if any, and how often is it provided?

9) What is the humidity level and where in the habitat is it being read?

10) Are you hearing any clicking, popping, wheezing or seeing discharge from the eyes, nose or mouth?

Customer
There is no set temp just I check it alot make sure its warn I have both day light and heat light on all day and heat at night ones I've been using for yrs and I just changed lights not long ago I've used the same watts as I always had I've had her 5 yrs she is 3 and half foot I've had her since she was 6 inches or so the same diet as I always had fruit greens
Customer
Hi
Customer
Are you able to receive pic

I need answers to all the questions above to be able to assist. You are also welcome to share a picture back to this thread.

Customer
I'm ttying

I'll be standing by.

Customer
The hours of light is when I get up bout 8 am to 10 pm she ate 3 days ago it was colored greens and apple I haven't changed nothing no eating happen or lights or temp just cage and it's an open bar cage not an aquarium
Customer
No sounds when I put my ear up to her belly
Customer
Never put humidity in his cage just bathing him I do
Customer
Nothing coming from mouth or eyes or nose just thick sticky saliva

Let's start again with the questions as there's a great deal of info missing that I greatly need to help you. That said, at this stage, if your companion is lifeless she truly needs to be seen by a veterinarian. You can find one that sees reptiles using http://www.anapid.org/vets/. If you must address this from home, I can assist but I will need detailed answers on the following:

2) What substrate is being used?

4) How old are the bulbs? What type of UV rays do they offer your companion, if any?

10) Where is the thick saliva coming from?

Customer
His mouth when I opened it
Customer
Are iguanas able to catch colds from humans
Customer
No vitamins just greens apples green beans pears

It's very unlikely that your companion caught a cold from you. This is likely a medical condition secondary to husbandry flaws.

Here are the remaining questions:

2) What substrate is being used?

Customer
95 100 baking..90 bottom cage
Customer
What is substrate

Substrate is the flooring material used in the cage.

Customer
105 under heat light

How old are the bulbs? What type of UV rays do they offer your companion, if any?​

Customer
A month old bulbs
Customer
Rubber I think

What type of UV rays do they offer your companion, if any?​​

How old were the bulbs before replacement?

Customer
I just bought them a month ago his last ones brocke

How old were the bulbs before replacement?​

Customer
5.0 to 10.0 uvb
Customer
Idk the age of the lamps be for I bought them
Customer
UVA I mean not uvb sorry
Customer
Hes standing on his front legs now and opening his mouth and making a hiss sound but not a hiss deeper between a hiss and cough

Thank you.

As mentioned above, if your companion is lifeless she truly needs to be seen by a veterinarian. You can find one that sees reptiles using http://www.anapid.org/vets/.

There are many husbandry flaws in your history which make me very concerned that Lizzy is not going to improve without a veterinary visit and drastic overhaul of their habitat. Here are the red flags that concern me:

1) The thick saliva and the hissing sound with front legs elevated strongly suggest that Lizzy has an upper respiratory condition. Without antibiotics, she may succumb to the effects of the ailment.

2) Without any vitamin supplementation and without proper UV lighting (UVB is required, at the very least) from bulbs under 6 months of age, Lizzy is at high risk for metabolic bone disease, which can be life-threatening.

3) The temp gradient should be 80+ at night and between 90-95 during the day with a UVB hot spot of 100-105 degrees.

4) The diet should focus on dark leafy greens with the occasional bit of fruits and veggies. Calcium should be added every other day and a multivitamin every third day. Without this, metabolic bone disease is a high risk.

5) Proper photoperiod should be 12 hours with light, 12 hours without. If the proper temp cannot be kept overnight, a ceramic heat emitter should be used. This produces heat with no light.

6) Lizzy should be in a much larger habitat with branches for climbing. This is a partially arboreal species, so there should be space not only on the floor for walking about but also quite a bit of distance for climbing, as well. Your companion's habitat looks more akin to what we'd see for a mammal like a rat, guinea pig or chinchilla. Wire cages can be used, the structure and furniture within the cage would need to be addressed, though.

It’s been my pleasure to assist you today, I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Please be aware that we work on the HONOR SYSTEM on this website. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. If no rating is left, I am not credited for my time and commitment to helping you. Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top-notch answers are always my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply before rating so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. My focus is to ensure that you have received a great value for the expense of using this service. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread. I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800 Happy Holidays!!!

Checking in, JACustomer. I have not heard back from you. Did you receive the info I sent above? If not, let me know and I'll post it again. Sometimes the replies from Experts don’t make it to the customer, so I am just following up to be sure that you did, indeed, receive my response.​

Customer
Everything that u told me I have been doing but this cage is alot bigger that the pic just sent u the top part of it I'm in the process of making it bigger and he gets the foods u said just not the vitamins witch all get for her the lighting is what I have found on line that is said to be giving her but if it's a respiratory issue I can get her to a vet in the next day

Vitamins are absolutely imperative. UVA lighting (which you mentioned above) is not the proper spectrum that she requires. UVB MUST be used. This line here says you aren't using UVB: "UVA I mean not uvb sorry" so that needs to be addressed immediately. The symptoms you've shared absolutely do sound like a respiratory condition and the lack of proper spectrum lighting AND vitamins will already have made metabolic bone disease increasingly likely. I would wait no longer than this morning to have her seen. I am very concerned with the lethargy that your companion may pass away without prompt and intensive care.

Customer
Ok I see what ur saying I check the box and now understand thank you I will impr

You're welcome. Good luck!

Customer
Improve my care on her thank you
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
PitRottMommy
logo
logo
logo
15+ years of experience
imglogo
PitRottMommy
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.