My brother’s dragon just pooped and there’s a lot of mucus like in it, his poo seems running and mixed with mucus.

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My brother’s dragon just pooped and there’s a lot of mucus like in it, his poo seems running and mixed with mucus
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dragon's name and age?
Customer: Draco. He’s approximately 5 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Draco?
Customer: Yes, we’ve recently become the owner of this dragon. His old owners weren’t properly caring for him for the past five years. He didnt have the correct bulbs, they were feeding him iceburg lettuce and crickets. He doesnt seem to want to eat at all, i’ve never seen him eat unless i hand feed him. He is very skinny.
Answered by Anna in 8 mins 3 years ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping reptiles. It was kind of you to take in Draco. The symptoms you described - runny poo with mucus, weight loss, and poor appetite- are most often caused by either intestinal parasites or infection. There is no home treatment for these conditions. I will give you some measures to take that can support him, but you will need to see a reptile vet to solve the problem. It will help the vet with the diagnosis if you also take in a sample of Draco’s poo in a clean plastic bag. This site has a directory of them so you can find the nearest one:http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlistI’ll be back with more information as soon as I have it typed up. I appreciate your patience.
Thank you for waiting. After being improperly cared for and having a poor appetite, Draco is probably dehydrated. You can help him with a special soak. Prepare a shallow bath consisting of half Pedialyte (yes, the kind for human infants) and half water at about 100*F. Since he is also likely to be suffering from calcium deficiency, add a big scoop of calcium powder and mix it in. Reptiles can absorb fluids and nutrients through their skin and vents so make the water deep enough to cover the vent. Soak Draco for 20 to 30 minutes. Be sure to supervise closely. This can be repeated twice a day until you are able to see the vet.If the hand feeding is going well, you can continue that. Another method you can try is to buy some plain meat baby food (lamb, chicken, turkey, etc.). Mix in a little calcium powder. Then drop a small dollop right on his snout. Most of the time reflexes will cause them to lick it off.Make sure Draco is warm enough. Right under the basking light it should be 105* to 110*F. The coolest part of the cage should be 80* to 85*F. At night, the temperatures can be allowed to drop into the seventies. Both the basking light and the UVB light need to be on for 12 to 14 hours per day.If you have more concerns, just let me know. I’m glad to help. I wish you success in bringing Draco back to health.Anna
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.