My crested gecko just her first eggs yesterday. Unfertile because has not been mated. She looks very tired but has been

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My crested gecko just laid her first eggs yesterday. Unfertile because has not been mated. She looks very tired but has been eating (she stopped a few days befor laying eggs). Now I notice that both her eyes looks sunken in a bit. And like she has black eyeliner around them. Why is that?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the gecko.
Customer: She is not lethargic
JA: What is the gecko's name and age?
Customer: "My" and she is almost two years old. She waighed 39,75 g just before laying eggs.
JA: What is the gecko's name?
Customer: Its name is*****: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the gecko?
Customer: After laying her eggs she has been eating - and I just saw her drink. The "eyeliner is only at the underside of her eyes. A bit like if a human has been staying up too late many nights in a row. If you understand?
Answered by PitRottMommy in 1 hour 4 years ago
imglogo
PitRottMommy
15+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Working together through the computer can be difficult as I cannot see what you have witnessed with your companion. It would help me greatly to be able to see what you are seeing. Will you please attach pictures or video detailing your concern? There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. If your files won’t load they may be too large for the site. You can also use FREE websites like http://www.imgur.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them. I do offer international texting from my cell to your own. This can make sending pictures/video easier. If that would be preferable, please let me know. There is an additional charge for this service but it can take the guesswork out of trying to get information back to me and facilitate a faster response.

Customer
Sorry I might have sent several times. Both her eyes look like this.

Thank you. Did this develop recently? Are you seeing any darkness in any other areas of the eyes aside from just the base? What foods are you feeding her? Any live prey? If so, what and how often?

Customer
I noticed the dark rings today - because her eyes is a bit sunken in, and that made me worry. It might have been there for longer, but with her eyes not beeing sunken in I maybe just didnt notice earlier. From certain angles it looks as the black ring is all around her eye - but most obvious at the base. Otherwise I think her eyes looks as they always do. I feed her Pangea. Often the one with inseckts in it. She is not much for live pray, so does not get it. I have a small cup with pure calcium in her terrarium - and always fresh water.

Let's talk more about the pure calcium. Reptiles are not apt to intake their calcium when it's given in a dish. Are you also mixing this into the pangea?

Customer
Not mixing it in. Under the impression that the "complete diet" versions had all the calcium and other stuff needed. You are the first one telling me that they can't lick a little calcium if they feel that they need it. But I listen to you. Her tail seems straight and strong as always. But her skin is a bit slow to fall into place - making me think she is a little dehydrated.

Unfortunately, they usually don't and particularly for females who are producing eggs. The crested gecko has been on the market for the last 15 years and they've really gained popularity in the last 7-10 years. Honestly, the market is still working out what's "best" for them in captivity. Pangea was one of the first companies to get into the Rhacodactylus genus but the "ready-made" foods are not without problems. Calcium issues are one of the most common. I had my geckos on Pangea and Repashy some 10 years ago when they first came out and all of my females developed hypocalcemia. Over the last 10 years, I've witnessed more and more of this happening with the same food brands. None of them are without problem. Moreover, reptiles need calcium IN their food. There's no calcium source in the wild for them to visit when they need calcium. As such, you can completely do away with the calcium source but you do need to add more into the actual food she's eating. I recommend using 1/8-1/4 tsp of calcium into the mix when preparing it. If the taste is off to where your girl won't eat, add in a touch of pureed baby food to encourage her to eat. My favorite for this is Gerber's Blueberry Buckle dessert--though most any sweet fruit like apple, peach and pear are well-tolerated.

The dark deposits in the eyes are typically from dietary issues linked to insects. Excess cholesterol can lead to pigment changes. In addition, we can also see them from inflammation caused by retained eye caps, though her eyes seem clear enough for this not to be the cause. I do think it would be wise to move forward with seeing a reptile vet for good measure who can evaluate the eye with an ophthalmoscope up close. This may help you to determine the cause. If you need help finding a reptile vet, I recommend http://www.anapsid.org/vets/

Be aware that the first sign of calcium deficiency in crested geckos are typically "fluttering" type seizures. We usually see fluttering of the 'eyelashes', the toes and the tail tip. As time goes on, these can become tremors and eventually seizures. With proper diet change, these symptoms resolve before the body takes on physical changes like joint swelling, jaw drooping, bones breaking or spinal deformity.

It’s been my pleasure to assist you today, I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Please be aware that we work on the HONOR SYSTEM on this website. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. If no rating is left, I am not credited. Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top-notch answers are always my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply before rating so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. My focus is to ensure that you have received a great value for the expense of using this service. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread. I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Hi, I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going? PitRottMommy
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
PitRottMommy
logo
logo
logo
15+ years of experience
imglogo
PitRottMommy
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.