Morning. We have a panther chameleon who has been sick for some time. We have been to the vet twice. He seemed to be

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Morning. We have a panther chameleon who has been sick for some time. We have been to the vet twice. He seemed to be improving, but over the past 24 hours as deteriorated quickly.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the panther?
Customer: He has noticeable bumps on his limbs, but the vet has ruled out gout. Suspected MBD so have been giving prescribed vitamins via syringe. He has stopped eating completely.
JA: What is the panther's name?
Customer: Simon
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Simon?
Customer: He is an ambilobe boraha cross, 11 months old. Simon is in a large screened viv with new UV lighting, heat lamp and mistking system. Lots of plants to hide. We are new chameleon owners so have gotten a lot of guidance from the local reptile shop owner.
Answered by Anna in 2 hours 4 years ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hello and welcome. I apologize that no one responded to you sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just logged in and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping reptiles. I’m sorry to hear of Simon’s problems. Chameleons are unfortunately one of the most fragile of lizards, and once they get sick, it can be very difficult for them to recover. Some additional information may help me determine if there are more ways to support Simon.What brand is your UVB light?What temperatures do you maintain under the basking light and on the cool side of the cage?What are the ingredients in the vitamins you’re using?Thank you.
Customer
Hi Anna, Thanks for your response. I have a questionnaire with photos that I filled in for the vet. Would that be of use?

Thank you for getting back to me. For some reason, I was never notified that you had responded until now. I'll look at your questionnaire and be right back.

Yes, that information is very helpful. I tried to research the Arcadia UV light and learned that not all of their lights actually produce UVB rays. UV and UVA are not the same thing. Neither is full spectrum. This could be why Simon developed the MBD your vet suspects. Even if the light is one of those that produces UVB, it is time to replace it. A UVB light with a 10% output is only good for 6 months. Those with 5% output are often recommended foe Chameleons, and those lights are only good for 3 months. As time passes, they emit less and less UVB. After 3 months, a 5% output light is only emitting about 2%. That is not enough to prevent MBD. The problem is that the lights will continue to give off visible light (like UVA) for years. Our eyes cannot see UVB rays, so we think the lights are fine when we can see the light. My recommendation to you is to get a new UVB light as soon as possible. I recommend the Reptisun 10.0.

https://www.livefoods.co.uk/reptisun-100-high-output-uvb-fluorescent-lamp-24w-55cm-p-2579.html

Otherwise your set up is beautiful and the other conditions are near perfect. Because Simon hasn't been eating, he may be a bit dehydrated. I would give him a nice soak for 20 to 30 minutes. Be sure to supervise closely. Try tempting him with a variety of foods - silk worms, crickets, wax worms, superworms, or wax worms. While crickets and silk worms should make up the basic diet, some new and different prey may stimulate his appetite. Because chameleons are so delicate, you'll want to call your vet when the office opens. Vets have special foods for sick lizards, and the vet can show you how to feed those foods to Simon.

If MBD goes on long enough, it does damage internal organs, so I would get the new light as soon as possible. Your vet may also be able to give prescription calcium by injection. If you have more concerns, jsut let me know. I hope simon will be able to reach a full recovery.

Anna

Hello again. I’m just checking to see how Simon is doing. Do you need any additional information?Thank you.Anna
Customer
Hi Anna, Simon passed away peacefully yesterday. Thank you for your time and help. Becks
I’m sorry to hear that. You’re welcome for the help. I was hoping for a better outcome, but it wasn’t to be. I’m so sorry for your loss.Anna
Customer
Thank you Anna. The entire household is feeling his absence. He was a beautiful little creature with a wonderful personality, but I feel grateful for the time together and the life lessons he shared. Wishing you a lovely week and thanks again for your support and guidance. Becks
You’re welcome Becks. The loss of an animal companion leaves a hole in our hearts and lives, but you have a wise outlook on that loss by focusing on what you gained and learned from little Simon.
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.