My friend's gecko is shaking and trying to vomit, i dont know, she thinks it mightve eaten the dirt, its a female

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: my friend's gecko is shaking and trying to vomit
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your friend's gecko eat anything unusual?
Customer: i dont know, she thinks it mightve eaten the dirt
JA: What is your friend's gecko's name and age?
Customer: its a female crested gecko thats been laying eggs for a while
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your friend's gecko?
Customer: its one of those kind with the little red spot gene and thats all i know so far
Answered by Jav917 in 7 mins 4 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years abd have worked with Reptiles over 40 years.

What type of substarte is she using in the tank?

age of Gecko?

Diet?

Supplements?

Temps in tank?

how many eggs has she laid and how often is she laying?

Is there a dish of calcium kept in the tank? does she have a lay box in the tank?

Any weight loss

Is she breeding the gecko?

Joan

Customer
the substrate is called Hatchright, she doesnt know the exact age of the gecko other than its mature, Pangea with protein (the red colored pack), shes laid 12 eggs only 6 have been viable a month or two between each clutch, no calcium, there is a lay box, no weight loss, and she is breeding the gecko.
Customer
the substrate is called Hatchright, she doesnt know the exact age of the gecko other than its mature, Pangea with protein (the red colored pack), shes laid 12 eggs only 6 have been viable a month or two between each clutch, no calcium, there is a lay box, no weight loss, and she is breeding the gecko. she says it looks like its gagging
Customer
the substrate is called Hatchright, she doesnt know the exact age of the gecko other than its mature, Pangea with protein (the red colored pack), the tanks are kept in the low 70's, shes laid 12 eggs only 6 have been viable a month or two between each clutch, no calcium, there is a lay box, no weight loss, and she is breeding the gecko. she says it looks like its gagging
Customer
the substrate is called Hatchright, she doesnt know the exact age of the gecko other than its mature, Pangea with protein (the red colored pack), the tanks are kept in the low 70's, shes laid 12 eggs only 6 have been viable a month or two between each clutch, no calcium, there is a lay box, no weight loss, and she is breeding the gecko. she says it looks like its gagging and has tried eating the substrate in the past
Customer
the substrate is called Hatchright, she doesnt know the exact age of the gecko other than its mature, Pangea with protein (the red colored pack), the tanks are kept in the low 70's, shes laid 12 eggs only 6 have been viable a month or two between each clutch, no calcium, there is a lay box, no weight loss, and she is breeding the gecko. she says it looks like its gagging and has tried eating the substrate in the past, shes had 4 eggs with this kind of substrate

I suspect the Gecko may be suffering from Metabolic Bone disease. They need calcium especially a female laying eggs. The eggs are pulling clacium from the body and this will keill her is she continues to lay. I would tell her to stop the breeding. change to a solid subctrate either cage carpet, tile or paper.

She needs to start feeding live prey dusted with calcium to build her back up and get a dish of calcium in the tank. I would also add a UVB light like a Reptisun 6.9 to help her metabolize the clacium into D3 in the body. The shaking is a is a sign of a calcium deficiency and also MBD. When having a breathing problem the will open their mouths wide. She may also have swallowed loos substrate.Sje needs to use the loose substarte in a lay box and not in the bottom og the tanl. If she has calcium in the house she should give her now on hertongue.

Please hit reply to discuss this information. The Gecko should be seen by a Herp Vet in the morning. They may have to give an injection of calcium to help her. I can lcoate some Herp Vet for you with a State or Country.

Joan

Customer
thank you for all your help, we found a vet and will have her looked at in the morning!

You are welcome and I suggest getting her on some live prey and claciu, Phoenix worms are a high calcium feeder and good for Geckos.

Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.