I am babysitting a female chameleon and 2 days ago she stayed on the bottom of the cage overnight. Today she is doing

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I am babysitting a female chameleon and 2 days ago she stayed on the bottom of the cage overnight. Today she is doing the same thing. There have been extra crickets in her cage to eat, so I dont think she is hungry. She moves very slow, if at all, like shes too weak to move. I have pictures to show how her cage is set up and where she has been.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the chameleon's name?
Customer: Thank you! Her name is*****: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Shaggy?
Customer: I took her out of the cage yesterday to see if that would help, but she didnt really move and eventually turned really dark
Answered by Jav917 in 1 hour 4 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles over 40 years.

How long are you baby sitting the chameleon?

Does the chameleon have a UVB light?

Do you know howd it is?

Is there a basking light?

Any supplements?

Is there an auto mister?

Do you know if she has ever laid eggs?

Any open mouth breathing?

Joan

Customer
Hi Joan,
Babysitting for about 11 days, started on August 5th.
No UVB light.
She is less than a year, about six months or so.
There is a basking light at the top of the cage, that was her normal resting spot.
Just started coating her crickets in "Reptivite with D3" about 3 or 4 days ago.
There is no auto mister so we do it 2-3 times a day.
She has never laid eggs.
No open mouth breathing, but her breaths are slow and deep as if she is having a hard time.
Thank you,
Quay

Please let me know do they have a UVB light? The chameleon needs two digerent types of lighting. This could have great bearing on what is going on. The chameleon should also be getting a calcium supplement 5 days a week and the vitamin only 2 days a week. They should have an automister because chameleons dehydtrate easily.,.

Being 6 months, she is of age to carry and lay eggs.

Any time a chameleon is down at the bottom of an enclosure is a sign of a sick chameleon. I would like to suggest giving a warm soak gor 15 mins in a shallow basin. Once the soak is obe gently pat dry and place in the basking area. Thiswill hydrate the chameleon. YOu can supplementally geed using chicken baby food with a pinch of calcium and drop on the snout and allow her to lick it off. I do suggest a Herp Vet visit since they can go down very quickly. Iwould be happy tolocate a Herp Vet for you with a State or Country.

Please reply to discuss this information. If they do not have a UVB bulb I suggest a reptisun 10,0.

Joan

Customer
She does not have a UVB light but we are going to get one right now. Then we will give her a bath afterwards

I suhhest a Reptisun 10.0. They need to be replaced every 6 months. The UVB metabolized the calcium into D3 in the body to prevent Metabolic Bone Disease.

Please let me know if you have further questions. My goal is to give you excellent service and earn a 5 stars rating.

Joan

Customer
Okay, I will look for this specific light. I will let you know if I have any further questions or concerns. Thank you for your help!

You are welcome, I would appreciate if you take a moment to rate my service 5 stars. You can still come back for follow up questions, This will not close.

Joan

Hi, I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going? Joan
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.