I sent a note here- but it disappeared! I have an 8 year old leopard gecko. His has gotten very skinny and is very

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I sent a note here- but it disappeared! I have an 8 year old leopard gecko. His has gotten very skinny and is very lethargic. He just finished a feast of 2 dozen crickets over the last 2 weeks. The top of his tail usually gets big after eating this much. That did not happen this time. I have been reading on your site. He is no longer on calc sand- but on reptile carpet. Has a heat lamp on all the time- and underneath heater. He has white calc in his bowl and a granular leopard gecko food. I followed the directions and gave him a pedialite bath and rubbed his tummy for 15 minutes. He did emit a small amount of white substance. After his bath I gave him a little bit of baby squash. (there was no just plain meat at the grocery store!) Is there more that I could be doing for him? His color is pale. I feel bad for him!
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the leopard gecko. What is the leopard gecko's name?
Customer: Izzard
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Izzard?
Customer: I think I have detailed it
Answered by Jav917 in 20 mins 4 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Customer
Is this for real or did I just get scammed?

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35_ years and have worked with Reptiles over 40 years.

Have you ever had him see a Herp Vet for a fecal?

what are the temps in the enclosure?

Is he passing stool as well as urates the white you has seen?

Joan

Joan

Customer
No herp vet near here! Temp is between 80 and 85. I thought maybe the white was stool- it was more solid- not big like his normal- I have never seen him urinate.

If you supply a State or Country, I can lcoate soem Herp Vets that may be close by. What you are describing with the lethargy and weight loss is very common with a Parasite issue Live prey can bering parasites to your gecko and the parasites can cause weight loss. The temps need to be up a little higher in the enclosure 84-88 is a good temperature gradient.

I a case like this the husbandry is good since you removed the claci sand. The only thing that is concerning is the weight loss and the lethargy. What I would like to do is start soemechicken or Beef baby food and add a pinch of calcium mixed in and drop on the snout and allow him to lick it off. This is supplemental feeding to go along with the gut loaded crickets.

I suggest having him seen hands on for an Exam and a fecal sample. He is not showing sny specific symptoms that I can pin down to an illness.

Please supply a location for Herp Vets.

I would also like to see you do a couple of soaks a week to keep him hydrated.

Joan

Customer
Wiota, Iowa 50274 zip code
Customer
Specifically how often on the soaks- and for how long?

These are Herp Vets in IA:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/iowa.html

As far as soaks you can do a warm soak 5 time sa week and soak for 15 mins . This will help with Hydration.

With the weight loss watch for shed to come more often. The shed will come closer together with weight loss and you will want to make sure you have a moist hide avalable and that all the shed comes off. Retained eye shed is very common when there is weight loss.

Please let me know if you have further questions. My goal is to give you excellent service.

Joan

Customer
For as long as I have had Izzard- I have never observed a shed. I am sure he did- but never in my sight! What is retained eye shed?

When they shed their skin turns white from head to tip of tail. when it is ready to come off they will rub on something to start it the shed and they will eat their shed completely. Many times if there is a vitamin A deficiency or a problem retained shed that covers the eyes when shedding stays in the eyes. whan this happens a Herp Vet has to remove that shed because it will build up in the eyes and will harden leaving the gecko blind.

Joan

Customer
Well maybe that is what is happening- I wouldn't call him white- but his color is much paler. Is there a Herp vet around here?

I posted a link for all IA Herp Vets. Since I am not familiar with the state this is the link click it to open.

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/iowa.html

Joan

Customer
Thanks for your help! Hopefully he will be better soon!
Customer
The vets are all 2-4 hours away.

I hope so too, .You can see if a local Vet can see him and do a fecal. and maybe consult with a Herp Vet for treatment.

If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars

Joan

Customer
Thanks! I will do that!

I hope all goes well and he feels better.

Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.