Our bearded dragon is impacted (back legs are not working). We have him in a warm bath and are rubbing his belly. Any

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Our bearded dragon is impacted (back legs are not working). We have him in a warm bath and are rubbing his belly. Any other suggestions?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dragon?
Customer: Our bearded dragon is impacted (back legs are not working). We have him in a warm bath and are rubbing his belly. Any other suggestions?
JA: Where does the dragon seem to hurt?
Customer: Do you know if I can give him anything orally to make him poop?
JA: What is the dragon's name and age?
Customer: Cookie ....maybe a year old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cookie?
Customer: Not that I know of...
Answered by Anna in 14 mins 4 years ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hello and welcome. My name is Anna? And I’m a biologist with over 20 of experience keeping reptiles.You can buy some baby food prunes. Drop a small dollop right on the end of Cookie’s snout. Most of the time reflexes will cause them to lick it off. Then wait about 45 minutes. Place him in a bath. After ten minutes, with him still in the water, massage his stomach from front to vent ( where droppings pass out) for an additional ten minutes. Don’t just rub his belly, but massage in front to back direction only.You can repeat this again in a few hours if it doesn’t Work the first time.Anna
Customer
He has still not pooped. Would we be able to give the lizard a drop of MCT Coconut oil?
I'm sorry for the delay. For some reason, I was just notified that you had responded. You can try a drop of coconut oil, but put on or in something he will eat. Giving oil by syringe risks having it aspirated into the lungs. If he licked the prunes off his snout, you could mix the oil in with a bit more of them.Also, make sure his cage is warm enough. Being even a little too chilly can cause a sluggish digestive system. The area right under the basking light should be 105*F to 110*F. The cool side should be 80*F to 85*F.

Have you gotten any results yet?

Customer
Thank you for checking in. We took Cookie to our vet at 11 and Cookie had severe calcium deficiency. Unfortunately Cookie passed away. Thank you for trying

You're welcome. The two most common causes of back legs not working are impaction and calcium deficiency (Metabolic Bone Disease). I know that words don't really help, but all I can do now is offer my condolences. I'm so sorry for your loss of Cookie.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.