Sleeping alot. Iguana. Athena and idk few months. Hes kinda grey is a blue iguana eats fine and active at night

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: sleeping alot
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: iguana
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the iguana. What is the iguana's name and age?
Customer: athena and idk few months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the iguana?
Customer: hes kinda grey is a blue iguana eats fine and active at night
Answered by Jav917 in 23 mins 4 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Customer
his head is blue boddy is rety now been handleing him for a few minutes a day and hes been eating well i keep humidity up to about 75 to 80 % and i feed h im carrts spiniche and dark greens and some light ice berge lettuce for the last couple of weeks i keep the cage clean and mist it alot

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles for over 40 years.

an you tell me about the enclosure?

UVB strength ae and brand?

Basking light?

Diet?

Supplements?

Temps in basking area?

How old is the iggu?

Joan

Customer
the iggu is couple months old seems to be active at night and eats fine just a dark color and sleeping dureing the day
the temp is about 80 to 85 in the vage is a 40 gallon i belive as for the lights a uvb i think only and the heat light is a 40 or 50 watt not to strong tho and i have a night heat lamp
as well
Customer
the night lamp is 75 watss
Customer
heat day lamp is also 75 and uvb reptisun is the uvb light
Customer
the diet is carrots iceberg lettuce and spinach dark greens and hasnt eating any fruti yet tho i do ocasionly leave some in for him
i have calicme dust to i been sprinking on his food once a day to

You did not mention the temps in basking area or the age?

Joan

Customer
80 to 85 in the hot side and cool side im not sure i dont have a thermomitor yet for thae cool sid e

You have some husbandry issues that can be causing the problem you are seeing. The diet is all wrong. No Iceburg lettuce, it has no nutritional value. The spinach should not be fed binds calcium and carrots can cause eye problems. THis is a link fpr a proper iguana diet:

http://www.greenigsociety.org/foodchart.htm

I suggest looking over the staple foods on this list and changing.

The UVB needs to be changed every 6 months, so if older than 6 months it needs changing.

THe temps should be at least 95 in the basking area and mid 80's in the ambient temp.

I would give the iggy a good wrm soak for 30-40 mins for hydration. If not eating then start on baby food green beans, butternut squash and green peas mixed with a pinch of calcium. If he will not eat drop on the snout and allow him to lick it off. Ifhe does not respond a Herp Vet visit will be needed on Monday. I can lcoate some with a State or Country.

Joan

Customer
that should be fine i will make the change imiditely and get things set up porperly thank you for the information

Great! If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to Rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Did you want me to locate a Herp Vet for you? I can find some for you with a Dtate or country. I would appreciate a 5 star ratung so the site will recognize my work.

Joan

Hi, I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going? Joan
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.