My leopard gecko keeps his eyes closed and is no longer eating. Pietry almost 5 years old. Pietry. He has unlimited

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My leopard gecko keeps his eyes closed and is no longer eating
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is your leopard gecko's name and age?
Customer: Pietry almost 5 years old
JA: What is the leopard gecko's name?
Customer: Pietry
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pietry?
Customer: He has unlimited access to water and vitamin supplements, he has a heated tank pad on half of his tank and has day/night lights on a timer average temp is 90-100 humidity is around 50%
Answered by Jav917 in 31 mins 4 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My Name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles over 40 years.

Substrate?

Siet?

What supplements are always available? Calciyum or a Vitamin?

Are the eyes swollen?

Whan was last shed?

Diet?

Passing stool?

How long has he been like this?

Joan

Customer
Substrate: reptile carpet
Diet: mealworms
Supplements: herptivite with beta carotene
Eyes swollen: in my opinion yes
Last shed: it’s been a while
Passing stool: yes but not as frequently as before he stopped eating
Duration of issue: going on two months

The fisrt issue I see whah may be causing the problem is you are overdoing the Vitamins. They need a source off calcium at all times nd on food. Vitamins are only 2 days a week. The Closes and swollen eyes may be due to the Betacarotene in the Vitamin. Hyper Vitamintosis A.

I would like you to start some first aid by using some Saline PLain Saline without Preservatives into the eyes. This will help soothe the eyes. We can start emergency feeding by mixing some baby food chicken with some clacium in it. Droop on the snout and allow the Gecko to lick t off. THis will give some nutrition until you can get the gecko eating again. The Gecko will need to see a Herp Vet to be checked out.

Iwould remove the Vitamin from the tank and discontinue it for a while. Leave a dish of Plain ccalcium land dust prey with calcium. in the chicken baby food,,

If you supply a state I can locate a Herp Vet for you with a State.

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Joan
Customer
About the same, I have noticed him licking his eyes quite often

The licking of the eyes is trying to wet them and clean them.

At tis oint the Herp Vet is needed. We have done all we can at home. If you woud supply a State or Country, I can locate a Herp Vet for you. I suspect this is a Vitamin A issue as I said a A Herp Vet can treat hands on.

Joan

Customer
I found one, thank you for everything though!
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.