My male veiled chameleon has been having a hard time with his tongue lately. When he shoots his tongue out to get a

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My male veiled chameleon has been having a hard time with his tongue lately
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the chameleon?
Customer: When he shoots his tongue out to get a cricket sometimes it doesn't go all the way out or its like he almost chokes on his own tongue sometimes he does good getting his food other times he doesn't
JA: Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the chameleon's name and age?
Customer: Ok Clyde and he is 1yr and 4 months
JA: What is the chameleon's name?
Customer: Clyde is my chameleons name
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Clyde?
Customer: No not that I can think of
Answered by Jav917 in 43 mins 4 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

HeMy name is ***** ***** I habe been a Vet Tech for 35+ years and have worjed with Reptiles over 40 years.

Van you tell me about the enclosure?

Automister?

UVB light, age brand and strength?

Basking spotlight?

Diet?

Supplements?

Te,ps on the basking area and in enclosure?

Joan

Customer
Its an tall long enclosure with bamboo ladders and a big tree limb and vines for climbing he has a little dripper and I hand mist him the light is a small light bulb size I forgot the age and the strength is 5 watts he basks in the light I have for him and he's got where he can face either towards or away from the sunlight he eats crickets and dubia roaches he has the calcium and repashy

Do you only have one light?

I need to know if you have a UVB bulb it would be a12 or 13 watt and rated a 5.0 or 10.0/

A regular bulb wouth be rated a 5-, 75 or 100 watt.

I need to know the age and strength of the UVB bulb if you have one.

Joan

Customer
I only have one light its a 5 watt

Sorry it took so long to respond, we had a power outtage.

If the bulb is a 5 watt that is not a UVB bulb. It may be a 5.0 strength, but that is not strong enough for the chameleon or the enclosure. You need a Reptisun 10.0 UVB light that has maximum UVB output. YOu also need a second bulb which is a bssking white spotlight. It creates the wamrth in the enclosure.The ambient temp in the enclosure should be 78* and the basking area. The UVB rays are filtered coming through the window so the chameleon is not getting sunlightm just hot from sitting by a window. The UVB light is most important becuase it works with a daily calcium supplement and it turnes the Calcium into D3 in the body to prevent Metabolic Bone Disease.

There are two possibilities for the tongue. THe calcium is not being metabolized and he has the onset of MBD which can cause her tongue not to work properly. Another reason would be he is dehydrated. I suggest an Automister. Hand mistig and the dripper are not enough to fluids into him. Last issue that can cause a problem is a Vitamin A issue.

I would start with getting the correct bulbs, adjusting the temperature, getting an automister on a timer and making sure you are gut loading prey before feeding and even offering sone leafy green veggies and offering liuke Romaine.

If He does not respond to the changes and corrections, then at that point a Herp Vet visit will be needed. I can locate some with a State or country.

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

How is your Chameleon doing? I wanted to check in on him. Please let me know with an update.

Joan

Hi, I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going? Joan
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.