She has a bump on her back she is an eight year old bearded dragon. Nothing else is wrong with her she is doing great

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: She has a bump on her back she is an eight year old bearded dragon
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dragon?
Customer: nothing else is wrong with her she is doing great but the bump seems to bother her when I touch it i have a picture of her
JA: Where does the dragon seem to hurt?
Customer: when I touch the bump
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is the dragon eating normally?
Customer: yes she eats very well
JA: OK. No appetite problems. Is the dragon having trouble peeing or pooing?
Customer: no
JA: OK. No obvious problems there. How is the dragon behaving differently?
Customer: she is not behaving different
JA: What is the dragon's name?
Customer: Cynder - the bump looks big
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dragon?
Customer: she is a female - 8 years old - and beautiful!
Answered by Jav917 in 17 mins 4 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35_ yeras and have worked with Reptiles over 40 years.

Is the bump you are seeing in the spinal area?

Is there and bend in the spine?

Can you tell me about the tank set up?

UVB light, strength, age and brand?

Diet Veggies and Prey?

Supplements?

How long has the bump been there. Can you post a clear Picture for me to look at.

Joan

Customer
the bump is on her spine. There is no bend in the spine - the tank is set up correctly, the lights are new and she eats meal worms and super worms - I just noticed the bump in the last two days - I loaded 3 pictures of her

Do you only feed meal and super worms? No other feeders or Veggies?

What supplements are you feeding and how often?

Is the dragon passing normal stool?

Joan

Customer
She does not eat the veggies I give her, she has eaten red worms, I feed her every day and she usually eats every other day, her stool is normal and so is her urine. I have not put any supplements on the worms I feed her. Could this be MBD? and can this be fixed if I start to give her supplements, I do have a supplement for her just have not given it to her. Is MBD healable? how long will it take

I am working on your answer now. Please give me a few mins.

Joan

Thank you for the information. Her diet is poor at best. We do not recommend Meal worms or Super worms ffor a Dragon diet. They are high in chitin, Hard to digest, high in fat and over time can cause live disease. The diet over a year should be 80% veggies to include collard greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens, escarole, curly endives, and butternut squash. No Kale or spinach. They bind calcium. The prey should only be 20% of the diet and you can feed crickets, Phoenix worms, silk worms or dubia roaches. The Phoenix worms are a high calcium feeder. The diet weighs heavy on health.

This could be MBD due to the diet and lack of clacium which should be given 5 days a week and a Vitamin 2 days a week. We can stop the progression of MBD and help it from getting worse, but many times we cannot always get the issues back to normal because of the loss of clacium. MBD also affects organs. I suggest you start the proper diet, give the proper supplements. Start 3 soaks a week and get teh Dragon swimming in the soaks to help build up strength. Iwould do 10 mins twice a day in direct sunlight, while you monitor the dragon. Do not allow it to eat outside insects while basking. Make sure your UVB is a Reptisun 10.0 and is less than 6 months old.

Lastly I would see a Herp Vet for an assesment and to get a special calcium supplement.

I can locet herp Vets for you with state or country.

Please hit reply to discuss this information. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Customer
I got her 2 years ago when she was 6 years old and this was the diet she was given, she won't eat greens at all, she won't swim, I cannot find a reptile vet in my local area. I don't want her living in pain. So what is best? giving her the things she eats with supplements? and can I get a type of calcium I can give her? I am so worried she will be in pain.

I have never seen a Dragon turn down Dandelion greens and flowers. You can try them. This is a list of color coded Veggies. Try the green ones. I am sure there is something you can get her to eat. http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

As far as a Herp Vet I have lists for all over America. if you supply a state I will locate some Vets than me be reasonably close.

You can order the proper prey off line. Silk worms eay mulberry leaves and chow and would be a better feeder as well as Phoenix worms which are also know as calci worms.

MBG if not treated will get worse. Truing to get the Veggies and a good feeder prey can help as well as dusting prey and proper UVB. You can get a kiddie plastic pool and make the wter where her feet barely touch and she will swim she need to strengthen the muscles to help with the bump on her back. Flukers makes a good calcium without Phosphorus.

Please sully the state and I will get you a list of Herp Vets.

Joan

Customer
She was 6 years old when I got her and never ate veggies I gave her dandelions with greens and mustard greens yesterday and she would not even look at them, when I put her by them she turned and walked away. I live in Kenai, Alaska - no vets in Anchorage please. I have given her phoenix worms before and she does not like them, she won't eat them every time I give them to her. She won't swim, I put her in the tub with water she could swim in and all she does is sink and I don't want her to drown. What is the best way to treat her since she will not eat veggies or swim?
Customer
what about horned worms? she loves those

I have bener met a Dragon that would not eat dandelion greens and flowers. You may want to try them. You can also look at this list which has a lot of veggies in green to try.

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Flukers calcium withou Phosphorus you can get at the pet supplies and dust on all food. I suggest you change to Phoenix worms and silk worms they would be better for the Dragon.

I have a list of Herp Vets all over the world. so I can try with your location of state.

Joan

Customer
where can I buy silkworms?

Mulberry Farms and Coastal silk worms are online and overnight silk worms and Phoenix worms. The calcium from the Pet shop and I would do 10 mins in the direct sunlight out side twice a day.

If you want a Herp Vet please let me know.

Joan

Customer
a herp vet info locally would be great

I need your state or country. You need to use tough love with the veggies there is a long list to try.

Joan

Please supply your state or country to locate a Herp Vet.

Joan

Customer
I live on the Kenai Peninsula in Alaska - no vets in Anchorage as it is too far to travel - Kenai/ Soldotna area would be great

These are Herp Vets in AK and I did see 2 or 3 listed in Anchorage.

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/alaska.html

I will be going off line for a break but will be on later this evening. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars. Rating does not close the questions and you can come back for a follow up questions on this issue.

Joan

Customer
what about roaches?

The Dubia roaches can also be ordered online. Horn worms are a great treat, but nor a staple food.

Joan

Customer
but are the roaches good for her?

Thank you for the positive rating but just wondered why only 3 stars? I tried to give you excellent service and all information to help your dragon with its medical issues. My goal is to give every customer Excellent service.

Joan

Hi, I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going? Joan
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.