Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Our iguana has become lethargic, not eating, not drinking,

Customer Question
Our green iguana has...

Our green iguana has become lethargic, not eating, not drinking, doe not want to be sprayed and looks grey

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the iguana. What is the iguana's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he is 2 feet, and is about 2 years old. He loves dandelions especially the yellow flower. but he stopped eating them so I have been giving him spinach and collards cut small

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about George?

Not that I know of, I have never had him act like this. We had to change his home from a 10 gallon aquarium to a 55 gallon aquarium.

Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Reptile
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/27/2018
Reptile Expert: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 27 days ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) What are the ambient temp, cool spot and hot spot temps in the habitat?

2) What substrate is being used?

3) When did they last eat?

4) What bulbs are being used for the habitat? How old are the bulbs? What type of UV rays do they offer your companion, if any? What stands between the bulbs and your companion? Wire? Mesh?

5) How long have you had your companion?

6) What does their diet typically consist of?

7) How many hours of light and dark are they given each day? Do you use any bulbs in their habitat during the dark hours? If so, what color bulb are you using?
8) What vitamin supplementation are you using, if any, and how often is it provided?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
The daytime temp is 100 degrees, the night time is 50-75 degrees, the bulb were bought at local pet store but I do not know the brand. The Substrate was a block that I wet and broke up and we have used the same to over a year. I do not know about UV rays I am concerned about the change of the aquarium because we do not have all wood in it, come of it is brick. We changed the Aquarium about 3 months ago because he could not lay out straight..

1) What is the hot spot temp?
2) Do you know what type of rays they offer your iguana?
3) Can you share pics of the habitat?
4) How many hours of light and dark are they given each day? Do you use any bulbs in their habitat during the dark hours? If so, what color bulb are you using?
5) What vitamin supplementation are you using, if any, and how often is it provided?​

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I am comfortable with chatting on line,, I cannot call. He last age spinach and tomato.

1) What is the hot spot temp?
3) Can you share pics of the habitat?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
The hot spot is 100 degrees, I know nothing about rays, I cannot share pics of the habitat, unfortunately. The hot light is turned on about 7 AM and off about 10 PM the night light is a black lite. I have never given him a vitamin.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Are you going to continue with me, I cannot call you. This is ok to chat on the computer.

It sounds like it's very likely that your companion is suffering from some husbandry flaws, perhaps including metabolic bone disease due to lack of vitamins and proper lighting. Iguanas require UVB rays 12 hours out of each day. Additionally, if their food is not supplemented with calcium and vitamin D. You need to add a calcium/vit D supplement to the food which most every pet store should sell. I would also recommend increasing your overnight temps, which should not fall below 75 degrees. If you need supplemental overnight heating use a ceramic heat emitter which your pet store should carry. Make sure, as well, that the basking spot is between mesh or wire (glass filters out UVB rays) and is 6-8" from your iguana. You can learn more here: https://bluepearlvet.com/medical-articles/iguana-husbandry-nutrition-and-disease/ Since he has reached a point where he isn't feeling well enough to eat or drink I would urge you to to see a reptile vet in your area with him for an examination. If you need help finding a vet that sees reptiles you can use this resource: http://www.anapsid.org/vets/

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions, let me know if I can help you further. Please be aware that we work on the HONOR SYSTEM on this website. Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top-notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Thank you this is helpful I know a vet that takes care of rare animals.

You're welcome. Good luck!