My chameleon might be dying. She/he I got yesterday and it was a Loud stressful day today so I think its because of

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Second opinion] my chameleon might be dying
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your chameleon?
Customer: she/he I got yesterday and it was a Loud stressful day today so I think its because of stress but I am scared
Answered by Jav917 in 42 mins 4 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. and have worked with Reptiles over 40 years.

Tell me about the set up?

UVB light strength, and brand?

Basking light?

diet?

Suplements?

Temps in enclosure and basking area?

Where is the chameleon now?

Do you have a auto mister?

Any open mouth breathing?

Joan

Customer
Well I got her/him yesterday and some of the gear is still shipping
Customer
I have light and the temp is okay, but it might be a tad cold now since its off
Customer
His color is light sand color with white and brown spots
Customer
I think he is sleeping but hasn't are in two days, haven't seen him drink and he looks sick and his breathes are super super slowed
Customer
This is probably from stress cause today was crazy but I really also feel like he is dying

where is he in the tank? in vines or on bottom?

Do you have a UVB light? it will be a coil bulb?

Is it a screen enclosure or fish tank?

Do you have an automister or are you hand misting>

do you have supplements?

If you would prege to speak on the phone I can off the premium service through the site. It is extra but may be better for you.

Joan

Customer
On a branch. He was on a vine but I moved him closer to his food
Customer
It's screen
Customer
I have been misting
Customer
The bulb is not a coil but it's specifically for chameleons

Sorry about the questions but need to be sure you were sold the correct items. Right now I can tell you he is not dying if he is on a branch, however if the set up, lighting , diet and temps are not all correct he can die, so I need to get all the details.

Joan

Customer
It's 75 degrees in here rn

Please tell me about the bulbs you have.

I need to know the ambient temp and the basking are temp?

Is the basking bulb a full spectrul basking spotlight?

Diet?

Supplement?

Joan

Customer
I turned the basking off cause it's midnight here
Customer
I read it should be 12 hours on and 12 hours off
Customer
I have tried crickets and meal worms with him
Customer
This is the bulb
Customer
I have vitamin and calcium for him but I was gonna let him eat a normal one or two then add it. I have had him only two days

He most likely will not eat until you have a UVB light on his enclosure. you need a Reptisun 10.0 UVB bulb and a full spectrum basking spotlight running 12-14 hours a day. Then bulb you bought is too strong and will cause thermal burns to the chameleon. It is a Mercury Vapor. it puts out an enourus amount of UVB and heat. it is not made for a chameleon enclosure.

More to come

Customer
Oh okay I'll order another bulb. Will he survive until Tom?
Customer
on top of that lamp I also need another lamp?

You need to go to the pet shop and ask for a Reptisun 10.0 UVB bulb. That will work fine. UVB helps control activity and appetite and is very important Please get one tomorrow from the Pet shop most carry them in stock all the time.

The Enclosure should be up high in a low traffic area. You should have an automister to prevent dehydration. The diet is fine and the prey should be dusted 5 days a week with a calcium supplement and two days a week with a Vitamin.

More to come

Customer
Okay
Customer
Anything else I can do for him?

You need your basking bulb which you have the temp under the basking area should be 95* and the enclosure in the mid to upper 70's to 80.

When a chameleon goes to the bottom of an enclosure it is ill, but It is stressed and as I said he will take qa week to settle in so the least amount of stress the bestter. low foot traffic do not leave prey in the enclosure. You may need to pick up a black night light bulb if it gets cooer than 70 at night.

If you have sunshine in your area, take the screen enclosure outside in direct sunlight and sit with him for 10 mins do this if you do not have a UVB for him tomorrow. I musch prefer you get one at the pet shop tomorrow. The UVB works with the calcium supplement to prevent Metabolic Bone Disease.

I would mist at least once an hour, They do not drink from standing water so an autimister is best. They can absorb fluid through the skin and vent area.

I would also like to get you a list of Herp Vets so if he needs a hands on exam at any time and I cannot help yoy have one available. If you sypply a state I can get you a list. If CA please let me know No or So.

Joan

Customer
Texas
Customer
bulb on over night? Or no?

https://flchams.com/veiled-chameleon-care-sheet/Only a blue night time bulb if the temps drop otherwise no bulb. This is a great care sheet:

Customer
Thank you!

If I have answered all your questions please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Hi, I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going? Joan
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.