He is active and eating but has not gone to the bathroom in a time. Temp is OK in tank. He is just over a year old. Been

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: He is active and eating but has not gone to the bathroom in a long time. Temp is OK in tank. He is just over a year old. Been offered both fresh fruit and kale as well as reptile bites and live crickets. We have also tried bathing him in a warm bath and massaging his lower stomach. His tank is artificial turf with basking limbs and rocks and a cave.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: I'm sorry, lol. Bearded dragon
JA: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dragon's name?
Customer: Kai
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kai?
Customer: I don't think so- he is very hand friendly but a bit of a picky eater compared to our last dragon.
Answered by Jav917 in 42 mins 4 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hello

My nae is Joan and I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles over 4- years.

Can you tell me size of tank?

Supplements?

Is kale the only veggie fed?

Te

Customer
The tank is 50 gallons. We do give him an assortment of fruits, but I guess leafy greens are the main veggie. Should we be offering others? We do feed him gut loaded dry insects and use a vitamin spray.

Thank you! The diet you are feeding is poor at best. Kale is not a staple veggie/ Spinacj and kale bind calcium. The better veggies would be collard greens, mustartd breens,, dandelion greens,, escarole, curly endives and butternut squash. THe Veggies should be fed at 80% of the diet and no dried prey. all prey should be live and gut loaded. Dried prey is not digestible and nothing but chitin. The Dragon bites are worthless. The fiods should be susted 5 days a week wit a good clacium supplement and a vitamin 2 days a week.

The temps shouuld be 105-110 in basjking area, 90;s as ambient temp and cool sie should be 80;s.

To help pass the stool. Pl wait 45 mins after feeding. Please the Dragon back in the soak and massage the abdome and this should podcue a stool. If It dones not work it is safe to repeat for 3 days. I use this quite often with constipated Dragons.

Please hit reply to discuss thhis information.

Joan

How is your Dragon doing? Was the information supplied helpful?

I was concerned because I has not gotten a response.

Joan

Customer
Hi, thank you for the follow-up. Yes he is doing fine. He actually ended up going to the bathroom that day and we went out and bought some vegetables that you had suggested.

So glad all worked out. I would appreciate if you couldrate my servuice 5 stars. I am not paid by the site for my answers until Rated.

Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.