I got my first chameleon two days ago and I'm just doing some research because she is obviously stressed and I'm not

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hello. I got my first Jackson chameleon two days ago and I'm just doing some research because she is obviously stressed and I'm not sure how long stress is considered normal as a result of the new environment or I need to take her to the vet.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the chameleon?
Customer: She had her eyes closed off and on during the day yesterday but that seems to have improved today. She's mostly dark, angry colors, she's not moving around a lot and I haven't seen her eat today. I did see her eat one cricket yesterday and I have seen her drink both days.
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the chameleon. What is the chameleon's name?
Customer: She doesn't have one yet. They told me she was a female at the store, however, I think there is a possibility she is actually a he.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the chameleon?
Customer: Her tale is whitish.
Answered by Dr. Leah Hill in 28 mins 4 years ago
imglogo
Dr. Leah Hill
20+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hi this is Dr Hill. Old old is she? What habitat do you have her in? Temperature?
Customer
They thought she was between 5 and 6 months old. The temp on the bathing perch is 78 (just got a battery for my digital thermometer). I moved the lamp slightly closer to the cage (it was hanging from a lamp stand above the cage). I had thought it was too hot at first. Now I know. I'm aiming for 80 degrees up there.As for the rest of the tank, we set our home thermostat for 72.Attached is a photo of her habitat. I have a misting system misting for 1 minute every hour during the day and off at night. I turn both bulbs off at night. The tank is a reptibreeze so the standing humidity is low, but my understanding is that with these mesh cages, there isn't much you can do about that, but as long as you keep them amply listed, this is ok?
Customer
I know I need some living plants and intend to get those this week.
Ok everything looks great. Because they stress out very easily it is normal for them to take a few days to acclimate to the new environment. I would keep the area clear of loud noises as much as possible and don’t touch him for at least a week to decrease as much stress as possible.
Customer
Can I send you a photo of her?
Customer
Here you go
Customer
Another. And we are not handing her at all.

Ok she looks good maybe a touch thin but not too bad. I had a veiled chameleon. They are great pets to have. You have an excellent set up its just a matter of time for this little guy to get used to everything. Just continue to monitor appetite but as long as she is more active each day that is a good sign

Customer
Also, while I've got you, do you think she is a male or female? They told me she only had one horn (nose area) so she is a female, but are those not tiny horns above each eye?

does look more like a male with the horns above the eyes. As they grow we will know for sure but I would say male for now

If you could accept my answer and rate me I would appreciate it. Keep me posted on how he does, take care Dr Hill

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Leah Hill
logo
logo
logo
20+ years of experience
imglogo
Dr. Leah Hill
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.