I have had my red eared slider for 9 years. He was 2 yrs when i recued him. He is huge now. Was doing great but several

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have had my red eared slider for 9 years. He was 2 yrs when i recued him. He is huge now. Was doing great but several weeks ago i had to get him a new tank with a sturdier dock to sun on. He was to big for floating dock. It kept sinking. He has not used the new dock to sun and he is not eating well. What should i do?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the slider's name?
Customer: Noodels
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Noodels?
Customer: No
Answered by Jav917 in 20 hours 4 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Customer
He did hurt his front leg when he slid off dock about three weeks ago
Customer
He has regained some movement but not what it should be
Customer
He is not moving around much and just stays in one area. He use to engage my finger as i moved it on side of tank—not doing that anymore.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Retiles over 40 years.

Can you tell me about size of tank?

UVB, age. strength and brand?

Diet?

Supplements?

Basking temp and water temp?

Any bubbles from nose or mouth?

Passing stool?

Joan

Customer
75 gallons, brand new 48”X18”X20”, Clear for Life acrylic, 74-76 degrees, Aqua Culture aquatic turtle trail mix diet with occasional Wardley turtle delight (dried whole shrimp), 100 watt UVA basking lamp, and natural sunlight through window, no bubbles, haven’t seen stools for some time, clear eyes, not using right front leg very much, not eating that I have observed

Thank you! You have some issues with diet and husbandry. UVB does not penetrate sunlight, so the result is Metabolic Bone Diseease. All reptiles need a UVB light I suggest a reptisun 10 to be used beside the basking ligj. Along with the UVB you need a Powdered calcium as well as a calcium block at all times. The UVB metabolizes calcium into D3 in the body. You can use a cuttle bone or use a calcium block in the water The Diet is wrong too. The diet should consiset on 50% leafy green. 25% pellets and 25% live prey or cooked meats. This is very important since turtle are predisposed to kidney issues.

Te,ps in the water is a bit warm should be 78-80 and basking area should be 95*.

Lighting. temps and diet all have bearing on the activity level and appetite.

I would try making revisions in the lighting, diet suplements and see if her responds. The leg issue could be the onset of Metabolic Bone Disease.

My suggestion is to try and make the changes. If he does not respond. then a Herp Vet visit will be needed for a Fecal and blood work. Right now my suspicions are based on what can affct activity and eating, but sometins it does take a hands on ea

e to determine any underlying cause. If you do not have a Herp Vet I can locate some for you with State or country.

Plese hit reply and we can discuss the suggestion and and your concerns.

Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.