My chameleon took a pretty good spill a couple weeks ago. took him to vet and he gave me a anti inflammatory to put in

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: hi my chameleon took a pretty good spill a couple weeks ago. took him to vet and he gave me a anti inflammatory to put in is eye..no blood behind the eye or deep in throat..he keeps falling to one side and he extends his tongue very slowly now and when he shoots it out to catch food he misses any advise
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the chameleon's name?
Customer: splat
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Splat?
Customer: he is a panther no
Answered by Jav917 in 27 mins 4 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles over 40 years.

What type of tests were done on splat?

Does he have any issues with balance or walking?

Joan

Customer
Hi the vet took a scope and looked behind eyes and back of throat no blood present. He has hard time walking and falls to one side and has a hard time balancing on branches

Thank you! He is showing signs of a Neurological issue. There may be a pinched nerve in the spine or something more going on from the fall.

What I suggest is seeing a Veterinary Neurologist with Reptile knowledge. He may need to do a CT or MRI. I Veterinary Neurologist will be able to get to the cause of the inability to walk and use the tongue properly. This may even be a Vestibular issue.

Please hit reply to discuss this information. I can also try to locate a Veterinary Neurolgist for you.

Pleasase hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

Customer
Hi if it is one of those issues what do they do for treatment? Curious!

Spinal issues are treated 2 ways one is rest and medication or if needed surgucal interevention or laser treatment. As far as vestibular they treat with medication and see if they can find the reason The Vestibular aparatus is locate in the middle ear and with a head injury there may some inflammation in that area that needs to be addressed.

Please let me know if you have further questions. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Customer
Thank u very much
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.