I have a hatching Mississippi map turtle that may have RI. I just got him and before I put him in my tank, he seemed

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have a hatching Mississippi map turtle that may have RI. I just got him and before I put him in my tank, he seemed lethargic, and he eyes were red but not inflammated. The turtle seems to close his eyes a lot, but can open them. I put him in the tank and he moved a little bit, mainly looking for hiding and swam a bit. But this morning turtle was moving very slow and open his eyes only when the light came on. It does not swim lopsided. But turtle isn't skittish at all and moves very slow and just looks at me. All my water quality is correct, proper uva/uvb basking, water temperature at 78 degrees, excellent filtration and lots of hiding spots. I am not sure if it is stress of a new environment or potential respiratory infection/ eye infection. Turtle seems to rub eyes time to time. I only had turtle for 2 days.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. It could be an infection. The Expert will know what to do. What is the turtle's name?
Customer: truffles
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Truffles?
Customer: Turtle is about 1.5" and the agency said it was inspected by an aquatic biologist before shipping. So the animal was shipped overnight with a heat pack. When I tried to feed outside of the tank, turtle would mainly keep head in water with eyes shut. But eyes can open. The eyes aren't swollen, but red around the pupil.
Answered by Jav917 in 15 mins 4 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** Have worked with Reptiles for over 40 years.

Can you tell me if you purchased it from a Place called Turtle Shack in Florida?

Any Bubbles from nose or mouth?

Did you use a dechlorinator in the water?

What strength UVB light are you using a 5.0 or a 10.0

Joan

Customer
Hi Joan,I did not purchase from turtle shack, but I did purchase from Tortoise town based in new jersey. I have purchased from them before with healthy turtles so I wasn't expecting this.I have a 75 watt UVA light and a 5.0 UVB. I have seen 1 bubble from the nose out of water. It doesn't swim lopsided from what I have seen and I absolutely use a dechlorinator. I checked the water quality parameters at which nitrates and ammonia is at 0. I am an aquatic ecologist and ichthyologist so I am very particular in my water quality and aquatic animal husbandry.I have only had the turtle for 1.5 days. As I said before, the eyes were red around the pupils, at the time I received it and before it was in the water. So it was not a chlorine issue from my tank. My water temperature is at 78 F and basking site at about 90-92 F.Joe

Thank you! We have had problems with the places in Fl selling ill turtles and they have a bad Reputation.

You need to be using a 10.0 UVB light with turtles and it needs to be replaced every 6 months. Bubbles from the nose can indicate an RI.I do think some of the bahavior you are seeing is from the turtle acclimating himself. You can try some Sterile Saline in the eyes without any preservatives. This will soothe the eyes. At this point I would monitor him for further signs of an RI. we see the lopsided swimming when it goes into Pneumonia. Bubbles from nose or mouth and open mouth breathing, lethargy and lack of appetite would all be RI signs.

If you need a Herp Vet I can lcoate some with a State.

A lot of issues happen because the stress of shipping.

PLease hit reply to discuss this information and any concerns, I can assist you with.

Joan

Customer
Joan,Thanks for the advice. I will switch to a 10.0 UVB. Yes I was thinking it would take time for turtle to acclimate as any animal would. I guess what worried me most was the red eyes right off the bat and how lethargic it was when I got it. Well I was thinking it could be cold, as I know lethargy can occur if the turtles are cold.So I currently have another hatchling in the tank, should I quarantine the potentially sick one into another tank? If it is RI, I know it can be contagious. With the sterile saline, do use an eye dropper and how often should I use it?What would cause redness of the eye? Is it a bacterial infection in the eyes or is it a symptom of RI?
Customer
Joan,I included a photo of the turtle. If you look at the eyes, they are red all around the pupils which does not seem normal for the species.

I cannot get a good look at the eyes in the picture. I would try the Saline in the eyes and monitor for further symptoms of the RI. If you need a Herp Vet just supply a State and I will be happy to locate one for you.

Joan

Customer
I am in California near Jackson, area code 95642.

Is that northern or Southern. My List of Vets are searated that way.

Joan

Customer
Northern California, 50 miles east of sacramento.

These are the Vets I have listed:

Joan

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/califn.html

How is the turtle doing? Checking in on him.

Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.