I have two fence lizards, I obtained them from a guy who had them in mulch for a year, and have had them in burrowing

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hi, I have two fence lizards, I obtained them from a guy who had them in mulch for a year, and have had them in burrowing clay sand for almost a year but then switched to rags when I started to notice sand in poop. My male lizard has a swollen eye, the petstore I went to gave me eye drops for him and the female has become very lethargic and seems to be developing an eye issue. The male is still eating, energetic, and seems fine other then his eye being swollen. I recently replaced the uvb and spot light bulbs in their tanks as well when I noticed the female had become somewhat lethargic.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the fence lizard. What is the fence lizard's name and age?
Customer: Could this be a vitamin deficiency or light issue?? I've never had either of these two lizards have any health issues before and are both fat and healthy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the fence lizard?
Customer: the male is Jack the female is sally, I think the previous owner had them for a year, I've had them for about a year. When the previous owner had them in soil mulch they got splinters in them and I ended up having to remove all the mulch and the splinters they got from burrowing under the sand Jack is usually pretty energetic, and dominant or protective over sally
Answered by Jav917 in 26 mins 4 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles over 40 years.

Can you tell me if they are wild caught or captive bread?

What are you feeding?

Do you feed supplements?

What are you using for the eyes?

Joan

Customer
Hi Joan, I want to say they were bred but the guy who gave me him didn’t know if they were bred or caught when I asked.I’ve been feeding them baby roaches, crickets and meal worms and rotate between them, they have some gut loaded supplements in them, but I was recently told they don’t have 100% all the supplements.An employee gave me eye drops used for turtles and said that they could also be used for my lizards. Nature zone turtle eye drop

Eye Drops are worthless. You need Teramycin eye ointment. I can give you a link if you cannot find it locally. http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Terramycin.html

The Fence Lizard may have a Vitamin A deficiency. We usually see the swelling you are describing with a Vitamin A issue. Make sure you are using a calcium supplement 5 days a week and a Vitamin like Reptivite 2 days a week.

I suggest trying Coconut coir which they can burrow in for a substrate.

In a case like this if a Vitamin A issue he really should see the Herp Vet. I can locate some with a Country or State. If CA please let me know if it is northern CA or Southern CA.

I do want to mention you may also be dealing with a Paraiste issue. Prey carry parasites as well if they are wild caught they carry a high parasite load.

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

Customer
Thank you! I live in Orem, Ut, I will make sure to give them more supplement, and see if I can find the coconut substrate, or order it online, is there any vet you’d recommend in the area?

Herp Vets in UT.

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/utah.html

If I have addressed all your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Customer
Thank you so much!

You are welcome! You can find the stars at the top of the page for rating. I would appreciate 5 stars.

Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.