Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

We are fostering a red foot tortoise and my son called me at…

Customer Question
We are fostering a...

We are fostering a red foot tortoise and my son called me at work today and states she has some small white gray bugs in her tank and as well as on her. we have had her for 1 1/2 weeks my friend gave me new bag of the bark to place in her tank when we got her home and states this is what she uses. They had her for 2 plus years

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the tortoise?

She seems fine eats her food every day and has normal bowel movements. I am going to get her need bedding read coconut fiber instead of bark might be better

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the tortoise's name?

Flash

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Flash?

I dont think so. not sure if I need to bath her as he said they were on her as well.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Reptile
4/3/2018
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 3 months ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles for over 40 years.

What type of bedding are you using?

Do you have a UVB light, strength and age?

Where is she being housed a rubbermade bin, tank or tortoise table?

Joan

Thank. The reptile mulch/ bark. Yes she had uvb light standard for reptiles

I need to be sure you were sold a UVB bulb because we are seeing the Pet supplies selling basking bulbs being as reprsented as UVB and they are not a UVB bulb. The UVB should be rated a 10.0 bulb. There are other strengths, but please double check for a 10.0.

I suggest using a spagnumn moss and a good quality sand we want something that is safe and clean where the tortoise can burrow.

What you will need to do is strip the enclosure and clean it well and remove and replace the substrates.

I would bathe the tortoise in some plain water with a Reptile conditioner in the water. Keep the Hunidity between 60% and 80%.

I think once to strip the tank and give teh tortoise a nice soak to be sure the bugs are gone all should be good.

Please hit reply to discuss this information. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Did you need further help? I am here to assist you.

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan