Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

She is lethargic. Mouth constantly open with tongue hanging…

Customer Question
She is lethargic. Mouth...

She is lethargic. Mouth constantly open with tongue hanging out

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Crested gecko Maybe about 2 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the gecko. What is the gecko's name and age?

Hi

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hello. How can I help?

Crested gecko 2 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the gecko?

Lethargic. Mouth open with slime. Continuously opening mouth

Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Reptile
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Seems like she is going in and out of consciousness
3/31/2018
Reptile Expert: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 21 days ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) What are the ambient temp, cool spot and hot spot temps in the habitat?

2) What substrate is being used?

3) When did she last eat?

4) What bulbs are being used for the habitat, if any?

5) How long have you had her?

6) What does her diet consist of?

7) What vitamin supplementation are you using, if any, and how often is it provided?
8) What is the humidity level and how is water provided?
9) Can you share pictures of what you're seeing?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
I am not home at this time. My boyfriend is taking care of her right now.She has a heat lamp and heat pad. She is in a glass terrarium with an top screen. She has had reptile carpet. But she has recently switched to some bedding that has to remain moist. She has a water bowl and we mist the tank.She ate a few days ago. We noticed she didn't come out the past two nights. Typically she eats the gecko paste, coconut stuff, and crickets.I have had her for about 2 years.

Can your boyfriend share pictures through the website or even via text? There is an option for upgrading our chat to share pics/video via text.

What are the ambient temp, cool spot and hot spot temps in the habitat?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
I will be home soon and can provide pictures.Currently he is wrapping her in a warm moist paper towel. She keeps shedding.I am not sure what the humidity is. The temperature is reading 78-82

I'll be standing by for pics.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Are there any recommendations before I get there? He has her wrapped in a moist paper towel in the sun

I'd take her out of the sun. Crested geckos are room temp animals and the sun is likely not helping her at this point. Without seeing what you're seeing, it will be difficult for me to help much further without pictures or video.

She truly needs to see a vet. She is severely dehydrated based on her skin turgor and passing a bloody bowel movement strongly suggests she is battling a hemorrhagic GI condition. I am very concerned with her jaw and back that she's suffering a metabolic bone problem, as well. Where are you located?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Annapolis
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Maryland

Give me a few moments. Let me see what I can find in your area.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
What is the cause of the GI problem? Impaction? What could cause the bone issues?
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Her tongue is black

We haven't discussed her history yet due to the severity of her condition. Let's work on finding her help right now and we can discuss her medical problem after we've addressed getting her help. In the meanwhile, can you share a photo of what you're seeing in her mouth?

Anne Arundel looks to be the closest ER location: http://aavec.com
For regular vet care, I would search here: http://www.anapsid.org/vets/maryland.html

My recommendation right now is to take her in immediately for care. Without care, I am worried that she may only survive a few more hours at most.

If you wish to continue discussion on why this may have happened (though I feel your time will be best placed in traveling to an ER location that can help her), I'll need to have you answer the rest of the questions that weren't addressed at the beginning of the discussion we started. Here are those questions:

1) What type of heat lamp is being used? Where is the heat pad? What are the temps in this area?
2) Can you tell me what the bedding is that you're using now that needs to remain moist?

3) What is the "Gecko paste" and "coconut stuff" that you feed her?

5) What vitamin supplementation are you using, if any, and how often is it provided?

6) Are you using any lighting for her? If so, what type? How many hours of light does she receive in a day?
7) What substance are you seeing in her mouth?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
She had MBD. What do we do?

If she has MBD it's going to be a situation which occurred due to her care. I need you to address the questions in my last reply so we can move forward.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
1. Red bulb heat lamp. At least 75 watt 120v
2. Coconut fiber
3. Diet: Apple sauce with calcium in dish. Fruit flavored gel treats in dish. worms once every 3 days if she wanted them. Calcium
4. See 1.
5. Calcium powder sprinkled on Apple sauce everday
6. 24/7 red light on
7. It was the pink gel treats.
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Is she in pain? She keeps opening and closing her mouth. She is so weak.

I suspect that she likely is in some pain if she's passing blood in her stool.

Crested geckos do best at room temps without supplemental heating or lighting. If this is on 24/7 this is likely why she's shedding constantly. If she does have MBD, I suspect it may be due to nutritional problems. While applesauce can be given as a treat cresteds need to be on a complete diet such as those commercial diets made by Repashy, or Pangea which mimicks what they have in the wild. If she has MBD, it's likely due to not having enough calcium in her diet (even if it's supplemented daily). Geckos take in such a small amount of food that the calcium needs to be dense. Nutrition for females is even more important as they reach sexual maturity and begin producing eggs (whether bred or not).

I would strongly urge you to soak her up to her shoulders in tepid water for 30 minutes to help with hydration if you are unable to go to the ER with her. You will need to be syringe watering and feeding her (apple sauce is fine for the time being but I would avoid insects until she can chase them down herself). If her jaw is not closing properly, it's at risk of being broken so do not resist her if she avoids taking water or food. Again, I truly believe her best shot is going to be under the care of a vet.

Reptile Expert: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 18 days ago
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer

Good morning, JACustomer. Checking in with you today to see how your companion is doing. Will you provide me with an update and any additional questions you might have regarding their care? ​

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse