Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

I'm not sure if he is brumating or if something is wrong. He…

Customer Question
Hi. I'm not sure...

Hi. I'm not sure if he is brumating or if something is wrong. He is a bearded dragon about a year old. He has been pretty lethargic and hasn't been pooping regularly. He is not eating on his own at all. I took him to the vet and did a full blood panel and fecal exam. No parasites. He did have a high white blood cell count for which the doctor has prescribed an anti-biotic just in case. He said he didn't see anything that was apparent that could be an issue.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dragon. What is the dragon's name?

Ryder

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ryder?

I don't think so. I think I have the lights right. I have Ryder in a 50 gallon tank. The bulb on the basking lamp is 50 watts and I have the reptisun 10.0 uva

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Reptile
Just want to add a few more details: I have the Zoo Med OS36 T8 ReptiSun UVB 10.0 HO Light that I bought in mid-October. The UVA is a 50 watt bulb because for some reason my fixture was blowing out the larger wattages when I last replaced the bulb.Ryder hasn't been eating much for about 2 months now, but prior to that I was dusting his food pretty regularly with calcium. I have fed him a diet of crickets and endive and green beans.His last poop was about 2 weeks ago and before that it was about a month.His beard has been black pretty frequently lately - Might I be disturbing his brumation or is he sick?
3/29/2018
Reptile Expert: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 4 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

The black beard and recent abnormal bloodwork with high WBC strongly suggests that Ryder is not feeling well. Are you currently giving the antibiotic that was prescribed? What's the name of the medication? How often is it being given?

Are you hand-feeding Ryder? When did he last eat normally?

Are you soaking him at all?