Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Our lizards eye will not heal. It's like guts are hanging…

Customer Question
Our lizards eye will...

Our lizards eye will not heal. It's like guts are hanging out of his eye. We have tried everything to heal it but its not going away. He acts fine and eat just fine.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the lizard?

I can upload a pic if needed

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the lizard seem to hurt?

He doesnt hurt his eye is messed up. It's like guts hanging out of his eye. When we wipe it and try keeping it clean it stays in place

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the lizard's name and age?

Rumble and 5 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rumble?

No he acts fine and eat fine. We have tried Manuka honey even antibiotic from online. It's not healing.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Reptile
3/28/2018
Reptile Expert: Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist replied 2 months ago
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping reptiles. I'm reviewing your question now and will be right back.
I'm sorry to hear of this problem. What kind of lizard is Rumble?Please do upload your photo. Just click on the paper clip icon in the toolbar at the top of the space where you type. Instructions will pop up.Thank you.
Did u get pic
I did add files at the bottom and send
No, I've been waiting, but no pic yet.
I'm on my phone and not a computer
It's saying file too big can I text message it to somewhere
JustAnswer charges an extra fee for calls and texts. I am not set up to do those things, but if that's what you want to do, I can see if another of experts can help.
How much for a text
Phone calls are usually $28, so I assume a text would be similar. Another you could try from your phone would be to upload the pic to one of the free photo sharing sites, such as www.phitobucket.com
Photobucket?
sorry for the typo. I was trying to hurry and hit i instead of o.
If you're able to upload it there, just post the link for it here so I can view it.
What's email I send it to
http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/Melissa_Dobbs_Fitzgerald/media/20180328_104913_zpsrk5rtm1e.jpg.html?filters[user]=147149780&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

That worked. I'll take a look right now.

Thank you for your patience. I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I believe you deserve honesty. I don't think there's anything else you can do on your own. You've already tried an antibiotic, and that is the strongest thing you can get ever the counter. It does look like the eye may be hemorrhaging. A reptile vet may be able to offer a treatment, but it's also possible the eye may need to be removed. If it does, most lizards can adapt to having just one eye, and will continue to do well. This link will take you to a directory of reptile vets:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist

If you have more questions, just let me know. I'm glad to help. I wish Rumble a speedy recovery.

Anna

What caused this
There's no way to know for sure, and without a hands on exam, we can't be certain of what it is. However, there are a couple of strong possibilities. One is a minor injury that didn't heal, but instead, got worse. Another is that sonething caused the pressure in the eyeball itself to rise, the. The eye ruptured. It's not something common, and when the vet examines Rumble he/she may see some things not visible to us. That can result in a more accurate diagnosis.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Anna

Hello again. How are things going? Have you been able to schedule an appointment for Rumble?