Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Got a ball python that I rescued recently from petco.

Got a ball python...

Got a ball python that I rescued recently from petco. Reaaaaally under weight and won't eat for e it's been two weeks since he last ate he only weighs 57 grams

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the python will be able to digest that. What is the python's name?

Havent named him yet! Been offering frozen thawed fuzzy mice every 4-5 days

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the python?

When he was at petco he got stuck to some adhesive they had in his enclosure and the employee ripped offf part of his skin on his tail, before I adopted him he had just come back from the vet with a clean bill of health other than being under weight

3/28/2018
Heath Wilkerson

Hi, Dr. W here. I'm sorry to hear this :( Can you tell me what his enclosure is like? size? high/low temps? day vs nighttime light cycle? Humidity? Substrate? Thanks

He's in a 20 gallon long, three different hides. I do have a ten gallon that I can switch him to if you think that could be the issue. Lots of coverage with fake plants and vines. He's on paper towels so I can see if he goes to the bathroom easily. Humidity varies from 50%-60%. Temperatures go from 75 degrees Fahrenheit on cool side at night and an ambient temp of about 80 Fahrenheit. His hot spot is between 87-90 degrees Fahrenheit. 8-12 hours of light a day. Nighttime he is sometimes active and seems to be exploring his enclosure. He switches from his warm side to cool side probably once or twice a day. I've been covering his enclosure at night with a blanket or a towel to try and make him feel more secure.

That sounds good. A couple of things I have found helpful with my ball pythons over the years:

1- Put the white light(s) on a lamp timer and keep it consistently at 12 hours day/night for now then gradually increase the daylight by 30 minutes each week until you are up to 16 hour days. It will tell his body that the days are getting longer (springtime) and increase his appetite

2- Add a warm moist sphagnum moss hideout for when he feels that he needs an extra humidity boost (this also in my experience has stimulated appetite in finicky balls)

3- Call your vet and ask for a B12 injection to stimulate appetite

4- Offer a few pinkies in addition to the fuzzies. Sometimes when they haven't eaten for awhile they want to start back slowly with small prey that takes little effort

I hope this helps and please let me know how it goes if you have time to keep me updated that would be great! (I LOVE snakes!) If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! I’ll be online for another hour or so. It’s my pleasure to help you and your pet! Please remember to “ACCEPT AN ANSWER” in the top right hand corner of your screen, AND RATE OUR CONVERSATION 5-STARS (so I will receive credit for helping you). Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks and have a great night! (or day depending on what time zone you are in :)

Heath Wilkerson

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Heath Wilkerson