Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

I have a female Leopard gecko 4 years old. I have a nice set…

Hi I have a female Leopard...
Hi
I have a female Leopard gecko 4 years old . I have a nice set up for her on paper towels as substrate. She has a fake plant and a couple hides.
I’ve neglected to keep the one moist and I feel terribly - I’m worried that’s caused her she to stick to her toes . Her face is the issue shes been sort of unable to grasp food and chew it for about a month now - she lunges but can’t get it in her mouth. Her mouth also doesn’t appear to close normally and it has become swollen on the one side. That same side her eye was almost stuck closed with white cotton like fuzz? I used a dab of neomyacin on it and she could open it then. I rehydrated her moss in one of her hides . I gently forced some benebac and a calcium supplement dabs in her mouth too. She seemed very uncomfortable not moving to her warm spot and basically just stagnant in a spot upright but not moving at all due to her feet mouth and eye issue.
I’m hoping the wet moss helps overnight with her feet - but the hard weird swelling on the mouth is what troubles me since she’s unable to eat.
She was a beautiful large fat gecko for a couple years. Her tail is getting smaller and her coloring isn’t as vibrant.
Any help or suggestion greatly appreacited. I was hoping I could attempt to remedy her at home but wasn’t sure with the mouth swelling or uneven lips she has now :(.
She appears shiny in the images because I used a soft cotton with warm water to dab her mouth. And the neomyacin in the eye was a bit greasy.
3/27/2018
Heath Wilkerson

Hi Dr. W here. Thank you for the pics! This is common in leopard geckos. She will need some oral antibiotics (such as Ceftazadime or Enrofloxacin) by mouth to help clear this up. You can get these from your vet. I would also recommend tube feeding her OxBow Carnivor Care or meat baby food every day until she is eating normally on her own. Your vet will also have red rubber tubes that can be used for this. A vitamin B12 injection while you are there can also help to stimulate her appetite.

Can you tell me what her high and low temps are in her enclosure and also how long is her day/night light cycle? Thanks

Dear Dr
First off thank you so much for the advice.
A couple questions - what is this condition called ? How does it start and how may I prevent it in the future ? Can I order this tube feeder off amazon?Also what accounts for the white fuzzy stuff over her eye area ? Is it attributed to licking her eye with that mouth wound?Thanks so much for your expertise.
I’ll be sure to rate you 5*
Erin
Awe ok I can get the tubes from the vet to feed her.
Do you offer a prescription service thru this portal at all ? That would be super convenient one day to avoid taking in a small lizard for example to the vet. :)Thanks
Erin

The white fuzzy stuff sounds like a superficial fungal infection. You can get some drops for this.

https://www.amazon.com/Colon-Rubber-Tube-Coffee-Cleanse/dp/B00PHFAHJ2/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_4_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1522123566&sr=1-4-fkmr0&keywords=colon+tube+8ft

https://www.amazon.com/Oxbow-Carnivore-Care-Supplement-2-5-Ounce/dp/B006H38VZ0/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1522123611&sr=1-1&keywords=Carnivore+Care

Based on the pics it looks like a granuloma has formed likely secondary to infection or trauma but your vet will be able to tell for sure with an examination. These are caused by something that is irritating in the enclosure or a persistent nidus like necrotic bone, dental lesions, granuloma, mycobacteria. Sometimes unshed skin can cause a lesion like this because the gecko will scratch and rub at the area too much. Make sure a humid area is available in the enclosure to help with shedding.
Vitamin A deficiency can lead to poor shed and skin health, so a good multi-vitamin reptile supplement would be good.

So without examining her no one can say for sure, but those on my thoughts that come to mind based on the pics. I hope this gives you some things to consider :)

No, sorry it is illegal to write prescriptions without an exam. It’s my pleasure to help you and your pet! Please remember to “ACCEPT AN ANSWER” in the top right hand corner of your screen, AND RATE OUR CONVERSATION 5-STARS (so I will receive credit for helping you). Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! I’ll be online for another hour or so. Thanks and have a great night! (or day depending on what time zone you are in :)

Heath Wilkerson
I appreci ate your time this eve thanks again and I’ll try to do a bonus. I did a 5 star rating ��������

Thank you so much! Have a great night

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jade. How is everything going?

Heath Wilkerson